NOT UV Compact Fluorescent, Safe?

Tort1419

I know there are discussions about how compact and coil fluorescent UV bulbs can be potentially dangerous to torts, but what about a compact fluorescent bulb that is strictly for lighting only, and has no UV emitted? I uploaded a picture. Thanks for the help! :)image.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I believe that it is an element of the construction of these type of bulbs that makes them potentially hazardous. Not all of them all hazardous, but some percentage of them are. There have been a number of cases of humans having eye issues under these bulbs, so its not just the UV bulbs.

I have a coil type household bulb over my counter where I soak the babies daily, but its high up and there is a translucent plastic barrier between the babies and the bulb.

I say try it out, but mount it high up and look for any signs of distress. Lethargy, hiding more than normal, eyes shut more than normal, lack of appetite, lack of activity. Any of these things will be an early indicator that the bulb is hurting the tortoise's eyes.

Tort1419

I believe that it is an element of the construction of these type of bulbs that makes them potentially hazardous. Not all of them all hazardous, but some percentage of them are. There have been a number of cases of humans having eye issues under these bulbs, so its not just the UV bulbs.

I have a coil type household bulb over my counter where I soak the babies daily, but its high up and there is a translucent plastic barrier between the babies and the bulb.

I say try it out, but mount it high up and look for any signs of distress. Lethargy, hiding more than normal, eyes shut more than normal, lack of appetite, lack of activity. Any of these things will be an early indicator that the bulb is hurting the tortoise's eyes.

Thanks for reply. To be honest I’ve been using the type of bulb for two years and didn’t realize that it was a type of compact bulb until it went out yesterday and I had to buy a new one. My tort has maintained roughly the same weight with small growth for the past two years. He’s actually being more lethargic without the light, I think it’s because most of his enclosure is dark now. And his eyes are always looking up at me, completely open and clear. Is this good enough to assume that this kind of bulb isn’t a threat to my tortoise? Thanks a lot!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for reply. To be honest I’ve been using the type of bulb for two years and didn’t realize that it was a type of compact bulb until it went out yesterday and I had to buy a new one. My tort has maintained roughly the same weight with small growth for the past two years. He’s actually being more lethargic without the light, I think it’s because most of his enclosure is dark now. And his eyes are always looking up at me, completely open and clear. Is this good enough to assume that this kind of bulb isn’t a threat to my tortoise? Thanks a lot!
After two years, yes, I think you are fine to use that bulb. Be aware that each time you replace it, we could have a different story. In the past, one of the theories that have been forwarded it that micro-cracks can form in the internal coating of these types of bulbs. These micro cracks apparently form around the twists and corners in this type of bulb. Harmfully intense light and in some cases UVC can be edited from these cracks. Your first one might have had none of these cracks. The new one, or the next one might, so be vigilant and keep an eye out for problems for a while.

Tort1419

After two years, yes, I think you are fine to use that bulb. Be aware that each time you replace it, we could have a different story. In the past, one of the theories that have been forwarded it that micro-cracks can form in the internal coating of these types of bulbs. These micro cracks apparently form around the twists and corners in this type of bulb. Harmfully intense light and in some cases UVC can be edited from these cracks. Your first one might have had none of these cracks. The new one, or the next one might, so be vigilant and keep an eye out for problems for a while.

Alright thank you so much, I really appreciate your help! I’ll be on the lookout

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think if you mount it horizontally you will be ok using it. But don't have it pointing straight down.