NYC Hermann Trade

Cityhermanns

Location (City and/or State)
nyc
hi - I have a male tortoise that I am willing to trade for another Hermann, preferably a female but open to male also. my male is not getting along with the rest of the group and I don't have space for another enclosure. thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What you describe is normal tortoise behavior. I doubt you'll find another that gets along. They're very territorial.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What does your group consist of? It should be one Male with two or more females.
Should be a large enclosure yard/room size with lots of sight barriers, multiple water and food dishes and multiple hides.
Post a pic of the enclosure and we may be able to give ideas of what can be changed or added to possibly make the group work as is.

Cityhermanns

nyc
What does your group consist of? It should be one Male with two or more females.
Should be a large enclosure yard/room size with lots of sight barriers, multiple water and food dishes and multiple hides.
Post a pic of the enclosure and we may be able to give ideas of what can be changed or added to possibly make the group work as is.
This is their outdoor enclosure, pretty large. I have 2 adult females and one young tortoise. The male keeps chasing and biting all 3 others non stop. My other tortoises have been getting along like a family for a year now. I thought I’d be fine with one male?? Any tips is appreciated!

Attachments

• A9CFB6F5-BE55-483D-A783-7460C06B290E.jpeg
    A9CFB6F5-BE55-483D-A783-7460C06B290E.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 9

Cityhermanns

nyc
This is their outdoor enclosure, pretty large. I have 2 adult females and one young tortoise. The male keeps chasing and biting all 3 others non stop. My other tortoises have been getting along like a family for a year now. I thought I’d be fine with one male?? Any tips is appreciated!
Also want to point out that the male was recently added to the group.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do you know the size of the enclosure? What we think is large really isn't most times. One Mediterranean species needs a 4x8 foot enclosure minimum. For each tort that needs to be increased. Minimum for 4 would be 16x32 feet. There is not much width to add more water dishes, hides, and site barriers along the house side.
If you can't enlarge the enclosure I would not replace the Male with another. Rehome him or build his own place. If you build his own and you want to breed them, then just put them together under supervision.
Getting a new Male may not fix the problem.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Thats a pretty good looking outdoor enclosure you have going there. Lots of dense grass & much better than a lot of ppl have. You could just have a territorial bully. I guess a lot depends what you are wanting to do? Reproduce? Just keep a few happy torts?

Cityhermanns

nyc
Thats a pretty good looking outdoor enclosure you have going there. Lots of dense grass & much better than a lot of ppl have. You could just have a territorial bully. I guess a lot depends what you are wanting to do? Reproduce? Just keep a few happy
mostly keep a large group happy. if they reproduce then great. this one is real aggressive and beats everyone non stop and chases