Obsessive little buggers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RascalDesertTort

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
AZ
WHAT has this little tort done to me?? I'm looking for gardening stuff online and I don't even consider it unless it somehow relates to this little guy. I even ordered some solar light in tort form for his future permanent outdoor pen which wont happen for at least a year because he is so tiny still. I've also informed my husband that i plan to start researching other breeds of torts to adopt as well.....and this time i want an older tort that is looking for a home. Wow this is quickly becoming an obsession LOL!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just remember:

If you get the same species of tortoise, quarantine the new animal for at least 3 months, and 6 months is better

If you get a different species of tortoise, you shouldn't keep them together. Each species should be kept in its own habitat.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
It starts with one, and then you go on a forum to get information, and on, and on, and on........you are hooked!!

RascalDesertTort

5 Year Member
AZ
emysemys said:
Just remember:

If you get the same species of tortoise, quarantine the new animal for at least 3 months, and 6 months is better

If you get a different species of tortoise, you shouldn't keep them together. Each species should be kept in its own habitat.

Well it's illegal to have more then one of the desert torts in AZ so I'll be looking at a different species all together. I was thinking of a forest one so i can have more fun on the habitat making it as natural as possible....any suggestions? Thanks!

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
I always see Russian tortoises on craigslist. They have great personalities and are a beginner(not saying you are) tort.

RascalDesertTort

5 Year Member
AZ
I am a begginer so no worries there. I'll do some research and see if it's the right kind for our family. thanks for the tip!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know where in AZ you live, but be careful of excess heat and dryness for any of the forest torts. It can be done, but its a lot of work and expense. I've chosen not to keep them where I live because it gets too hot (115-120 sometimes) and its very dry year round. I like to keep my torts outside in the sun as much as possible and I just can't keep the environment "good enough" outdoors here.

I've chosen to work with the desert species and my environment suits them better here. I keep them indoors and humid most of the time when they are little and just give them daily sunshine for an hour or two. As they get bigger, I move them outdoors permanently.

If you have a lot of outdoor space, sulcatas are the most friendly and personable of all the tortoises in my opinion. They are a lot of work, expense and they get huge, but if you have the kind of property where you can keeps horses and such, they are an amazing, wonderful animal. Leopard torts stay a little smaller and are beautiful, but generally not as outgoing and active. Of course all the smaller torts are great too and its easier maintain proper conditions in a smaller outdoor enclosure. You can use shrubs, shade trees and misters quite easily in a smaller tortoises pen.

The possibilities are endless. As you do your research, I'm sure one of them will speak to you.

RascalDesertTort

5 Year Member
AZ
Hmm...you gave me a lot to think about. B/C I'm in AZ i would have to keep the forest tort indoors to maintain the correct habitat for it. I absolutely love sulcatas and my hope to to have horse property in the future but I do not want to risk that not happening and not have a place for my tort. The desert tort fits our lifestyle so well that it's a shame I cannot have more then one.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If you are looking for torts to adopt you should post on CL ( craigslist) I do and always have more than i can handle and you get some interesting ones.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Roachman26 said:
The possibilities are endless. As you do your research, I'm sure one of them will speak to you.

Uh-oh, Tom's gone over the edge...anthropomorphizing your chelonian friends again, I think. I, of course, never do that! ;)

Yes, Rascal mom, to paraphrase Balloo the bear in Jungle Book, "You're hooked!" :D

Hey, TerryO, I love that new avatar! I am assuming that's a photo of you...gorgeous, girl! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.