October 1st here already.

innocent

Location (City and/or State)
Acton, Ca
There is not much action in this DT forum but i just felt like 10/1 is a important day for me (the torts) as a owner, It is a day that now marks a switch in the food offered to the desert torts I look after. I now will offer no wet food till March after winter. I will get to see them much less, which started a little early with some cold evenings. My female, Toc already does not come out for our after work hangout. I only see her on weekend mornings. This seems whether it is warm or cold.

Last year in 2022 I did a ton of work making the separate enclosures and giving them a safe place for them to own as a territory. This separated where I could allow weeds to grow for them to graze on and plant food that they can access or food. I managed to plant my favorite addition to their enclosures, one Joshua Tree for each. They are only 18 inches tall but they survived so far and I love that they made it. I also planted a few chapperal opunta cactus, for future food.

This year 2023 I spent a ton of time with my two torts, much of that time gardening in their enclosures, and outside their reach planting a food forrest so I can get off grocery store food as much as possible. I also started getting foods to give them that i will grow. I have given them Opunta and alphalpa which they needed a little effort to get them to eat it. Cutting it up into their other food a bit and now they eat it just fine. I started adding some California Buckwheat leaves and flowers to their greens just recently so they have eaten some. I also have given them Grape leaves and Globe Mallow which they gobbled up the second they were offered. They loved it. I could get Toc to beg for the Mallow leaves she loved it so much. I did plant some Manzanitas for shade not food. For food I planted 5, 5 gallon Vitus Californica (California wild grape) and 5, 1 gallon Vitus Girdiana (California Desert Grape) along the fence of the enclosures. These should explode with healthy food next year. Around the adjacent area to the enclosure I planted 5 beavertail cactus and 3 Nopal (not California native but spineless). I should get to harvest some paddles off these next year. I also planted some Agave and even a Ocotillo which may or may not be food someday.

In their enclosures this year nothing interesting grew up naturally. Just junk weeds, edible but not what I want. I already removed what I could from one enclosure as much as possible and sowed Desert Tortoise Mixture seeds from Theodore Payne Foundation and extra Mallow seeds. I will get the rest done and the other enclosure very soon.

It has been a good season with the torts and I'm happy with my progress. I thought I would share my experience to spark any other Desert Tort owners to check in what they are up too.20230225_071541.jpg
Burrows under snow.20230311_114417_1.jpg
March 11 when Tic dug out. It was still chilly and would be a couple weeks before Toc comes out.20230506_120502.jpg
Feeding Opunta pads, first year they ate this.20230416_181416.jpg20230926_183356.jpg20230416_181424.jpg20230926_183402.jpg
Showing work done over the year (before and after).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do those burrows go down into the ground? If not, that's not much protection from the cold and snow.
I don't know much about them but @Tom and @Yvonne G does. They can correct me if I'm wrong.
Otherwise, you have been very busy and it's all looking good. Next year should look even better with all you planted.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Looks like one burrow might lead to another 🤓

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is great! It's so rewarding when members pay attention and act when they learn, for example, pairs are a no no.

I'm geographically challenged - is Acton in the desert?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Acton is about 15 minutes north of me up the 14, so very similar climate. They are a little more dry, rugged, and slightly higher elevation.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I think they are two separate burrows cuz they said they have two DT and separated them.
Yes but one is next door to the other with just the cement blocks on the surface between them. I imagined the tortoises meeting face to face underground!

innocent

Acton, Ca
Yes but one is next door to the other with just the cement blocks on the surface between them. I imagined the tortoises meeting face to face underground!
The burrows are completely separate. The tortoises have no access to each other under or above ground. They will will not meet again if i can help it. I like that they are close together however, they are physically just a foot apart but have two 2x8 and a little dirt separating them while they brumate. They were supposedly kept together for a very long time before I was given them. I sorta got forced to promise I would never separate them, which was very human emotions put on the situation and bad for the torts. Now they are actually kept as close together as they can be without actually getting at each other. They are much better off and I am a big advocate on never ever ever keeping two torts together.

innocent

Acton, Ca
This is great! It's so rewarding when members pay attention and act when they learn, for example, pairs are a no no.

Lovely reply. Acton is a juniper woodland as close to the mojave desert without being in it. I think that the Mojave desert literally is bordering the town I'm in. My Step Dad lived in this town as a child and has told me back in the 60s he saw wild desert tortoises in Acton. They were naturally occurring here.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
The burrows are completely separate. The tortoises have no access to each other under or above ground. They will will not meet again if i can help it. I like that they are close together however, they are physically just a foot apart but have two 2x8 and a little dirt separating them while they brumate. They were supposedly kept together for a very long time before I was given them. I sorta got forced to promise I would never separate them, which was very human emotions put on the situation and bad for the torts. Now they are actually kept as close together as they can be without actually getting at each other. They are much better off and I am a big advocate on never ever ever keeping two torts together.
Great! I was imagining them meeting underground and neither one being particularly thrilled!

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
It is nice to see another DT lover thrilled to talk torts. Very cool.. I live at 3200 feet and my guy and gal are still running around. a little less time everyday out. It is a little sad to have less time with them. Very happy to hear of your happiness. congratulation on your pens.