Oh my GOSH!!!!! Russian in tank w/ water!

Status
Not open for further replies.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I really hope they were just soaking him, but knowing the LA County Shelters, I seriously DOUBT this is the case.

RussianWater.jpg

This OTHER - ID#A4200252
I am described as a tan Tortoise mix
My age is unknown.
I have been at the shelter since Oct 13, 2010.

Los Angeles County Animal Control - Castaic- (661) 257-3191
animalcare.lacounty.gov

31044 North Charlie Canyon Road
Castaic, CA 91384

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Sardis, MS
Good grief. How hard is it to look up how to care for an animal. I mean really. IMO they are for sure not soaking it; thats his actual habitat. They dont even have the proper name listed! Tan tortoise mix!? I would call and let them know. They may not do anything about it but atleast you can say you called.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Are we sure she is a "she" ? I mean they are treating it like a water turtle.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
finleafeater said:
Im going to call

Hey I just called, the tort is ready on oct 20th and Im first on the list.

and she's out of the water :) They were really surprised when I assured them it was NOT a turtle.

Good for you. Hope you get him/her.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
While it is not ideal Unless she catches a cold from it (wet and cold is not good) I don't think there will be any ill side effects. Here's hoping you get it.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
It's a shelter and they do not know what kind of animals they take in? That doesn't even sound right to me. Let us know when you get her and thank goodness you called and that APBT posted it. :(:(

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
finleafeater said:
Ok Ill let you know, although I doubt Ill change my mind hehe. I plan to drive up on the 20th when shes ready- 60 miles from home.. but only about 30 from work. Not too bad.

I dont know if "she" is a she.. I just call all torties that. ;) I gave the clerk (a young girl) my cell number and she said she will try to shoot photos of the torts bottom and text them to me.. who knows if that will actually happen though. Still so crazy to me that she was in all the water, they said she'd been in it for two days. Do you think there will be any bad side effects?
Ill post photos once little tort is set up in her new home.

ok just let me know. also, i can come by with you come and just check out the russian for health reasons, and try to convince them to give all future torts to us, and for them to join the forum to educate themselves.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I don't care who gets it...as long as it gets out of the County Shelter system...either way, Cory or Rachael...it couldn't be in better hands.;)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
They probably dont even know about soaking.. they are drowning that one! doesnt surprise me.. happens at a lot of shelters.. Even the one I work with... no heat, improper diets, etc etc.. if they cant care for the animal DO NOT TAKE IT IN!! or send straight to a rescue..
I even print out care sheets and highlight the important stuff.. blind.. they are just too busy with all the cats and dogs, to spend any time with other stuff..
the sulcatas I got from them.. had to be treated for two weeks for URI when i finally took them home..
Someone needs to print out care sheets and this forum info.. they can post a pic and find out what they have and do right by it.. otherwise.. Cite them for animal Cruelty!! NEglect... etc..

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
I can't wait to hear how she is once you get her! Good grief...

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Oh, that poor little tort!! Thank goodness you called and are getting it. It is really, really sad and unfortunate when a shelter doesn't even know what this animal they so readily accept IS...

I'm now starting to appreciate the policy of my local animal shelter. They refuse to accept reptiles because they are not equipped for them. A good policy for an excellent reason, IMO.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I get calls from my local shelter for reptiles - they don't take them, so they get funneled to me. Good thing too.

Poor baby, I hope she is okay. I would make sure to keep her nice and WARM for a good while after you get her! She probably got chilled pretty good. It is lucky that Russians are so tough.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
So any update?

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I just met with Rachael. She has the tortoise. He is very healthy, active, and looks good. Rachel is such a great person to drive for 2 hours in the rain on the busy, traffic filled freeways of Los Angeles. This thread started as a tragedy but ended in a very happy way!

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Yay Rachael! I look forward to seeing pictures of him "dry".

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
when I went to the riverside shelter to adopt the 3 toe, it took 3 hours of waiting in lines. I am so glad you got him and he seems happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.