Oh Poop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hi all,
Haven't seen any poop yet from my 2 CHRF hatchlings, might be difficult to see in all the cypress mulch? I've only had them a few days and they've been feeding on wild weed leaves & flowers with a dash of red leaf lettuce. I know they digest slowly and I'm likely being a bit to rushed here, but any ideas on a time frame for bowel movement would be appreciated.

I never thought I'd be asking folks about hatchling tortoise bowel movements...hilarious!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Redstrike said:
Hi all,
Haven't seen any poop yet from my 2 CHRF hatchlings, might be difficult to see in all the cypress mulch? I've only had them a few days and they've been feeding on wild weed leaves & flowers with a dash of red leaf lettuce. I know they digest slowly and I'm likely being a bit to rushed here, but any ideas on a time frame for bowel movement would be appreciated.

I never thought I'd be asking folks about hatchling tortoise bowel movements...hilarious!

Well crap! I guess nobody told you, but we talk about a lot of shitty subjects in here. It can really get poopy, let me warn ya! :D (hmmm wonder if that falls within okay to post comments? :rolleyes: :D)

Chances are really good they have gone and your just not seeing it in the substrate. Did they happen to have cleaned out their systems while being shipped to you? That also happens a lot. Plus, Allegra may have soaked them and cleaned them out a bit before shipping, too. You may want to give a warm water soak to them (can't recall if your already doing so). The warm water often causes a movement.

They are eating and active, I would not be worried about it at this point in time.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
It is also one of their favorite treats. They might be eating it before you have a chance to see it.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D I have not witnessed it myself, but you hear the stories of tortoises who follow the dogs or cats around waiting for them to poop and will be just about eating it as fast as it comes out. :D

Tiger Cowboy

5 Year Member
Birmingham, AL
I soak my tortoise until it poops. Then use the poop as a fertilizer for other terrariums (waste not want not)

Status
Not open for further replies.