Oil filled heater

Clawem

Ok I am in the middle of building an outdoor hide and I have the thermostat all figured out now I am looking at the small oil filled heaters. I was thinking about the optimus h-6002. The hide is 4x4x2 does anyone use this heater and would this be what I need. It is for a sulacata and not for the whole winter just to keep the temps up to the high 80's when it gets into the 50's at night. Also for anyone that has it when the power is out and then restored like with the Zilla thermostat will the unit turn on or does the power button need to be pressed again? I bought another model that I had to bring back because everytime the thermostat shut it off and then turned it back on the power button had to be pressed again. Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I've always bought the de longhi:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/DeLonghi-Safeheat-Basic-Portable-Oil-Filled-Radiator-Light-Gray/22177568

But I don't think its the same as the "mini" that has been talked about here in the enclosure section. It's really too big to put in a tort house.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

Clawem

I just dont want to get the wrong one again it is something I did not think about with the thermostat turning it on and off that the unit would have to be manually turned on and the defeats the whole purpose of having a thermostat.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, I think you choose your setting - 600 or 1200 watt, then high or low, and turn the heater on. After you've plugged it into the thermostat, it comes on and goes off automatically according to the temperature you have it set for.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
as a reminder ....and one that I'm ready to go full blown with ( a whole new building at the Cove') When talking thermostats ...One thing is where the temp probe is located for the thermostat itself. The higher up in the enclosure the "probe" (device that is actually measuring your temps for a thermostat) will read and "act" accordingly at higher temps. I mention this because most of our shelled buddies are no less than 12" off the ground . In large type huts and or enclosures', there can be much wasted heat -run times -cost of the heating element your using, all a result in "where those temps are being monitored" and placement of the thermostat/probe itself.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Clawem

thanks as always I will do the same. That is the same type of box I have made.