ok, Im scared, Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bink90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
my baby sulcata, Ishy, his head looks as if its ashy....and i was reading online about how they can get kiddney failure and there shells dont get hard....and their sluggish...well hes not sluggish but his head is like dry and the bottom of his shell is still pretty soft....how long does it take for their shell to get fully hard? please help me i dont want to lose my baby sully...please

(p.s.) hes always got plenty of water.

Sulcata Lover

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello,
How old is your Sulcata? Their shells should be pretty hard from the time they are 6 months to 12 months old. Is he getting the proper calcium in his diet?,as well as UVB Exposure? If he is, I would defiantly plan a trip to the vet.

Jeff
2 Sulcatas: Rocky and Peek-A Boo

bink90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sulcata Lover said:
Hello,
How old is your Sulcata? Their shells should be pretty hard from the time they are 6 months to 12 months old. Is he getting the proper calcium in his diet?,as well as UVB Exposure? If he is, I would defiantly plan a trip to the vet.

Jeff
2 Sulcatas: Rocky and Peek-A Boo

well hes his b day is 5-15-08 so hes about four months and his uvb is fine.....but like even though i am really gental when i pick him up he pees in my hand...its pretty gross....

redkim

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
I have been reading a lot about proper humidity and a major role it plays in not only avoiding pyramiding but general health.

The babies need to be soaked at least 3 times a week. Even though they may have access to water they may not use it to the fullest advantage and can still be dehydrated. Also they need a humid hide and wetting the substrate is great too. When he pees, he's releasing his water stores and unless they are replenished properly he can get dehydrated.

I know they are a desert tortoise but the researchers have found that in the wild, when food is abundant - it is during the rainy season and so the tortoises are in a humid environment (up to 99%) and access to food. In the dry season the food is much less and so is the humidity. In captivity we do it a bit opposite, plenty of food and a lower humidity environment. Just things I've been working on . . . ;)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
bink90, Hi, Torts pee as a defense mechanism. your little one thinks you are a predator and are going to eat him. redkim is right releasing his pee causes water shortages i.e.: possible dehydration, which could lead to kidney damage and death. I would soak your little one in warm water with vita Sol in it just a few drops. it is a liquid bird vitamin. This will also help him get use to you handling him. Soak him for about 10-20 min. make sure the water only come up to where his top shell meets the bottom shell so that won't be much water. Check it frequently to make sure it doesn't get cold. Also talk to him-this will help with the bond and he will get to know your voice. When he comes out of his soak offer him a little treat of green. This will hopefully help him get over the stress of his first few soakings. He may poop or release urates (white stuff) in the water. That is normal.

Make sure you have a humid hide for him. What are the temps and humidity in his enclosure?
Do you have a pic of his enclosure so we can help you fine tune it.
Sullys are desert type tortoises but even they need humidity. That is why they dig down so far to get out of the extreme heat and be where it is humid.

Status
Not open for further replies.