Okay to eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squirt58

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
I don't know if anyone has seen these but when i started babysitting squirt he came with these tortoise bites, he absolutely loves them. Im just not sure if they are okay for him to eat. If anyone else has experience with them please let me know!
Thankyou!

Attachments

• bites.png
    bites.png
    615.4 KB · Views: 57

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Never seen it before. What does the ingredients thingey say?

Squirt58

5 Year Member
New York
There is at least 50 different things in the ingredients list but the analysis is 3% crude protein 1% crude fat 5% crude fiber and 92% water.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That doesn't mean anything to me. I would want to know what actual food there is in there before I fed it to my tortoises. For example, corn has protein but I don't normally feed corn to my tortoises. I'm not sure if the different lettuces and greens contain fat, but I kind of doubt it.

For instance, the Zoo Med Grassland Tortoise Food has these ingredients:

Suncured Oat Hay, Suncured Timothy Hay, Soybean Hulls, Wheat Middlings, Suncured Alfalfa Meal, Whole Ground Wheat, Escarole, Endive, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Yeast Culture, Dandelion Greens (dried)...

plus a lot more that I didn't copy, but as you can see, the main ingredients are edible grasses/hay and include escarole and endive, which are great tortoise foods.

Squirt58

5 Year Member
New York
Whole milk powder, dried egg product, whey protein, soy protein, maltodextrin, sucrose, fructose, apple, carrots, carrageenan, locust bean gum, lecithin, calcium carbonate, wheat germ oil, natural & artificial flavor, calcium lactate, potassium sorbate, dicalcium phosphate, ascorbic acid, citric acid, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, sodium benzoate.

And so many more.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
I don't like the ingredients you listed at all. For start, I don't like that the protein + fat is the same percentage as the fiber. And 92% water content? That's really a way to sell a product.

For the ingredients, they put things like milk powder, various kind of sugars, artificial flavor and sodium benzoate in there, which I don't think are really needed for our tortoise. I suppose you can have it for a small treat to your tortoise, but that's all. He maybe loves them due to the high content of sugar and the artificial flavor and coloring put in there.

Squirt58

5 Year Member
New York
Would you suggest anything different besides his greens that he could have daily as a treat that he would enjoy??

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Squirt, what kind of tortoise are we talking about here? Often, as a treat, dandelion or catstounge flower is a great treat. Or a small sliver of cactus pad. Too much is too much water that not only causes runny poop can also cause other GI issues.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
There you go, Ken has replied first. I use flowers like hibiscus for treat. And in very rare case I give mine fruits like papaya, banana and dragon fruit. But I never use it daily, if it's daily then it's not a treat anymore right?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I did a google search and found this from a Russian tortiose site;

No it's not good for them. The first ingredients are the main ingredient the product is made of. Tortoises do not need or do well eating whole milk, eggs or the sugars (fructose and sucrose). I don't know what affect it would have, but, if you gave a horse (which eats grasses) such it would get colic and bloat, probably causing death. It amazes me that these companies put out products that could be potentionally harmful.
Deb
2 male russians, 1 female russian,1 sulcata, 2 3toe boxies
2 Amazon parrots, 1 Halfmoon conure, 1 green cheek conure
4 aquariums
Texas

Squirt58

5 Year Member
New York
Oh wow! Well I'm glad I came on here for a second opinion! He is a sulcata by the way and yeah lol you are right it wouldn't be a treat if it was daily :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It doesn't look appealing to me either. If lots of people were using it, suggesting it, and showing good results with it, I might still consider it. This is what I did with Mazuri, which also has a rather unimpressive ingredients list. Lots and lots of people recommend and swear by Mazuri. I don't know of anyone recommending this product.

Squirt58

5 Year Member
New York
Yeah true. Well this morning I gave him some spring mix and chopped up some timothy hay and apples and put it in a plastic bag and made it moist. He hasn't eaten any of it. I think he's mad I took away his sugary bright colored treat lol

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
He will finally give up to hunger, especially a sulcata gets a big appetite, just keep feeding it. That's why I hate pellets with strange ingredients in it, they are like drugs for your tortoise :D

redbeef

5 Year Member
Squirt58 said:
Whole milk powder, dried egg product, whey protein, soy protein, maltodextrin, sucrose, fructose, apple, carrots, carrageenan, locust bean gum, lecithin, calcium carbonate, wheat germ oil, natural & artificial flavor, calcium lactate, potassium sorbate, dicalcium phosphate, ascorbic acid, citric acid, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, sodium benzoate.

And so many more.

whoa: sounds like something I just bought in the vending machine downstairs ;) lol

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Holy crap. Yeah agreed with everyone else. Keep away from the bebe sulcata.
Your Squirt looks absolutely adorable by the way. :) I remember when my baby was that small just last year. Boy has he grown just in one year.

Squirt58

5 Year Member
New York
lol he is so teeny! im so worried about him though :[ i posted pictures on a different thread of him for people to talk about, but no one has yet. He was having nose bubbles and is making these weird chomping noises all the time, maybe its just because im new at this -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.