The Weather change

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Our nights most of the summer has been upper 60's low 70's. A few, maybe a months worth has been mid 70's.
Our days are still very warm. The AC has only been off for about a week, not a straight week, since sometime in June. I've never had the AC on this long before. I don't like it.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Yesterday marked the day. Matt didn't even come out from his pile of leaves. BIG difference! I don't see him this morning either.

Temps have cooled but we aren't done with the hot temps yet, not here in MD.
i been wearing a sweatshirt in the mornings here for the last 2 weeks..... the ones here are noticeably digging in at night and waiting on the sun before coming out.......

ryan57

PA
Accuweather today for Dillsburg PA is 88 high and 62 low.

Our 60 yo eastern box turtle guest is inside between dusk and late morning but days are still good here for a couple months. Dips in the pond, etc. It's high 70's low 80's until mid September here based on accuweather.

In the sun last year I measured that our sulcatas are about 25-30 degrees warmer in the sun than the ambient temperature. They can be out when it's colder with appropriate thinsulate outerwear and their carapace doesn't dip below 82 -84 degrees.

55 degrees on a sunny day is fine for our sulcatas to be out for a while and their carapace is the same 82-84 degrees. High temps don't drop into the 50's until mid November here and there are still many days Dec - March that are sunny with acceptable highs to get them out for a while most weeks.

It helps that I did the audiovisual system design and tuned the audio systems at the PA Farm show complex and expo center in Harrisburg which is 23 acres under roof that I have permission to use if I want to drive the Sulcatas over there to walk and exercise in the arenas when they are heated in the winter.

Last edited:

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I will try to explain the usual August weather where I live here in Finland We usually have about three to four warmer days in a row, with a high of 76 and a low of 63. Then we will have a few colder days, three to five, cloudy and rainy with a high of 63 to 66 and a low of 55. And the cycle repeats.

Some days I have to keep my Russian in his indoor enclosure, some days he gets to go outside. Every night I take him inside to sleep in his indoor enclosure.

The falls are getting shorter, but there is some difference from year to year.