Old Mexico cactus in the wet climate of southern Louisiana?

Sheldon the russian tortoise

5 Year Member
Hello everyone lately I have been trying to add whatever I can to Sheldon's diet and I am seeing benefits within the first few weeks. I just place an order for what I believe is Old Mexico cactus and was wondering... How will I keep it from rotting and getting too much water In the very wet climate of southern Louisiana. Should I keep it in pots? Is there a certain type of soil I should use? Thanks so much!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, keep in pots and use cactus substrate. If it gets too wet it will just rot, but humidity doesn't seem to bother them as much as wet substrate. I grow spineless here in Chicago in pots and I keep them in an unheated part of my shed in the south facing window. They have stayed alive but have not grown yet. Big win though just keeping them alive. I have two more pots in a heated humid green house that's in my basement that my hatchling is living in. They are growing but not normally. The humidity doesn't seem to bother them, but they are not planted in the damp substrate either. This is at least what has been working for me. I don't have any lights on them either. The ones in the shed will get filtered sunlight when the sun is out.

5 Year Member
Yes, keep in pots and use cactus substrate. If it gets too wet it will just rot, but humidity doesn't seem to bother them as much as wet substrate. I grow spineless here in Chicago in pots and I keep them in an unheated part of my shed in the south facing window. They have stayed alive but have not grown yet. Big win though just keeping them alive. I have two more pots in a heated humid green house that's in my basement that my hatchling is living in. They are growing but not normally. The humidity doesn't seem to bother them, but they are not planted in the damp substrate either. This is at least what has been working for me. I don't have any lights on them either. The ones in the shed will get filtered sunlight when the sun is out.
thank you so much, do you have any recommendations for substrate?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't remember what it's called, but it's for cactus and has cactus on the bag. I get mine from Home Depot. By the time I would be able to feed any of the new pads, any fertilizers, etc would be depleted.

5 Year Member
I don't remember what it's called, but it's for cactus and has cactus on the bag. I get mine from Home Depot. By the time I would be able to feed any of the new pads, any fertilizers, etc would be depleted.
Ok thanks...how often should I water? I also heard something about letting the pad sit before planting it, do you know anything about this?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know how often to water. I don't water mine very often at all.
Some have let the pads sit some don't. Some also cut a piece of the root area off some don't. I have not let mind sit but I do cut the root end off. I have even cut mine in half and planted both halves with success.

5 Year Member
I don't know how often to water. I don't water mine very often at all.
Some have let the pads sit some don't. Some also cut a piece of the root area off some don't. I have not let mind sit but I do cut the root end off. I have even cut mine in half and planted both halves with success.
thank you so much for your help wellington... i will keep you updated on the growing process and we can see the results