Old Pics, of my frog eating a rat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
This is the first African Bull Frog I kept, I got it from a guy in Ringwood NJ, in 1970,some of you older people may know who he was.These are fascinating animals and very adaptable to different environments and climates, and will eat anything that moves it can get in it's mouth.

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
wow....I can honestly say I have never seen that before!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I love his little fat self...however, if I had to feed him mice and rats, I'd have to leave him in the Pet Store.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Wow who would have thought:) What happened to all the storybooks I have read to children that show them eating flies and other bugs...granted that was more like frogs than a bullfrog, but a rat...guess he was really hungry. How long does that last him before he's ready to eat again?

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
What a big fat boy there! Very nice. Keep him away from the swamp people - they really like the big ones!

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
OK. Question. That is one giant, fat frog. I'm sure it had no trouble eating the rat. BUT, he can't possibly kill a rat that size, right? I'm assuming it was dead when you offered it to him... ???

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
shellysmom said:
OK. Question. That is one giant, fat frog. I'm sure it had no trouble eating the rat. BUT, he can't possibly kill a rat that size, right? I'm assuming it was dead when you offered it to him... ???

If you look at the back feet you can tell that the rat is still alive until the last pic where they go limp, they have two boney structures on the bottom of the inner mouth that they use to help hold, smother and crush the larger prey, plus they have teeth and very powerful jaw muscles.Once they grab it, it doesn't get away.

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
There was a guy selling little baby ones at a show one time, I knew i shouldve got one!

Status
Not open for further replies.