Old shell wound opening back up?

spoilers

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Ohio
Hi all,
I've had my rescue redfoot (estimated to be 25 yrs old) for about a year and in that time he has gained about 2 lbs. He's overall really healthy. When i got him he had an old wound that healed kinda wonky. Since he gained a bit of weight the crack left behind has started getting bigger and a dead piece of shell that was wedged in there fell out. My vet says it looks ok and that the bottom might be dead with new growth underneath but it's nothing to worry about. I just want to see what you guys think. Any advise would be appreciated.20190829_200600.jpeg20190829_200635.jpeg20190829_200645.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's all new growth under those old scutes. Eventually they will pop right off and new shell will be underneath. It doesn't look like the original shell because the original was formed bit by bit through growth, but the new shell developed all at once with no new growth spurts.

spoilers

5 Year Member
Southwest Ohio
That's all new growth under those old scutes. Eventually they will pop right off and new shell will be underneath. It doesn't look like the original shell because the original was formed bit by bit through growth, but the new shell developed all at once with no new growth spurts.
Awesome. I started getting worried when the crack started getting bigger and going down his side but if all that's eventually going to fall off it makes sense for it to start opening up.