Neck Wound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
About a year ago, I sold two Russian hatchlings to a woman. I can usually convince people to buy just one, or suggest three or more. Every once in a while, you get a buyer that wants two and they claim that they'll separate if necessary.

Fast forward one year later. Aside from a few harmless nips here and there, she said she saw no signs of aggression until a few days ago. She had called me and described a 'chunk taken out of the little one's neck'. She didn't have a second enclosure (and said she didn't have room to go out and get a second one) and asked if she could just give one back to me. I agreed, but based on how she described the wound I was expecting it to die.

It turns out she exaggerated the wound greatly. Its a pretty good nip though, an open would that has some bleeding. I've been soaking it daily and dabbing topical Marbocyl with a Q-Tip. Its eating fine and basking normally. Its about 2.75 inches. Aside from keeping the two together, she seemed to have been providing it with correct care, the shell is smooth and I see no other signs of poor health.

Right now its in a heated sterilite container, uv bulb, no substrate with a large shallow container of water that has been keeping the humidity up. I've been worried that adding soil or cypress mulch could result in particles getting into the wound and causing infection. Any thoughts on putting the little guy on substrate or no? Pros and cons?

Russian01.jpg

Russian02.jpg

Russian04.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
With wounds I prefer to not put them on dirt or anything like that. Newspaper should be ok, more sterile and should help heal quicker.
So 2 yearlings were fighting? that is kinda of unusual IMHO.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Like David said, its always a good idea to keep your hospital patients on a clean substrate...newspaper, paper towell, etc.

Neck wounds are hard to heal because the skin folds and stretches every time the tortoise pulls in his head and puts it back out. Its best to keep it supple with triple antibiotic ointment.

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Northern California
dmmj said:
With wounds I prefer to not put them on dirt or anything like that. Newspaper should be ok, more sterile and should help heal quicker.
So 2 yearlings were fighting? that is kinda of unusual IMHO.

Right now there is no substrate, the little guy is roaming around on just plastic. I don't like it when newspaper gets wet, so I'm going to go with paper towels for now. With the Russians, I occasionally observe nipping or bumping among younsters while eating, but not usually anything that resorts to bites like that.

emysemys said:
Neck wounds are hard to heal because the skin folds and stretches every time the tortoise pulls in his head and puts it back out. Its best to keep it supple with triple antibiotic ointment.

I've asked for the triple antiobiotic in the past. For some reason, my local vet swears by the Marbocyl. She and her partner are on call for our local zoo's reptile room, so I trust her knowledge. I've been monitoring the little guy to make sure that none of it gets into his eyes, nostrils, or mouth. Its tricky with the bite around the neck region.

M

Maggie Cummings

Do you have Chlorhexadine? I would clean the wound with Chlorhexadine twice a day and then dab on Neosporin.

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Northern California
maggie3fan said:
Do you have Chlorhexadine? I would clean the wound with Chlorhexadine twice a day and then dab on Neosporin.

I don't have any on hand. I'll have to call my vet and see if she'll sell me some.

Status
Not open for further replies.