Old turtle at BTJ’s Pet Shop- NY

TortoiseRacket

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hi all! There is a pet store on LI called BTJ’s Pet Shop. They keep their red eared sliders outside for the summer, inside for the winter. They had this really old turtle with a deformed shell. I tried to talk to the worker but they weren’t very friendly. I tested if it could swim and she just floated to another log. There was algae and plants growing all over her plastron and skin on the back of the body, because the wood basking logs were too small. She just sat there, looking depressed. This pet shop also is not very good. Like a typical pet shop-
-20ish baby sulcatas ina 10 gallon tank with alfalfa pellets without UVB. Male sulcatas roaming the store, ramming cages and fighting each other. 3 adult Russian tortoises in 40 gallon breeder with sprint tailed iguanas. If anybody is on LI, please visit this place and tell them it is wrong, or adopt(buy) the turtle. She is a sweetheart. Thanks everyone!
-Mickey

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's not much YOU can do because of your age. The clerks and store manager probably wouldn't give you any credit for knowing what you're talking about. But getting the word out like you have, is a good step to take.

TortoiseRacket

New York
According to their reviews, they seem to always be like that. Most people underestimate my understanding about reptiles. I got kicked out of a petco when I told the manager that Russian tortoises don’t get 3 feet long. She got fired for it- but she was still wrong to do that.

TortoiseRacket

New York
The store manager seemed nice-
I have longish hair and he mistook me for a girl- but that’s ok. They also had an adult redfoot tortoise in a 75 gallon tank! And I’m sure they’ve sold more like that! My sister’s friend got a baby sulcata there. It is now 10 inches long, eating nothing but Romaine lettuce, in a 20 gallon tank, with no UVB, on aspen bedding. They refuse to take any advice from me. I forgot to mention- BTJ’s had no water for the baby sulcatas and they were eating aloe Vera gel?!?!
-Mickey

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Mickey
It’s real hard to teach a old dog new tricks ! But I too have long hair , I just try to get them to join the tort forum. That’s easiest way . Rather then to tell them they are wrong. But good luck ![emoji217]