This particular pet shop.

Hi everyone.

Ok so just a little disclaimer before I start - I know pet shops are not the place to get your tortoise from and did get mine from a reputable breeder.

So today I nipped into a local pet shop (I live in North East England) to get some more bedding for my tortoise but they didn't have the one I wanted so I tried to make my visit worthwhile by going for a little look in the reptile section. Now I have been less than impressed by pet shop care before, but today I was actually left concerned and here's some of the main reasons why...
- Two tortoises being kept in the same enclosure.
- The three tortoises I saw had very overgrown beaks.
- They were being kept on a very sparing amount of dry sawdust like/wood bedding and they were climbing the walls which had resulted in some of their floor being completely bare.
- There was a large amount of excrement in the enclosure. I'd honestly say about a weeks worth.

I was most annoyed by the staff who were stood carelessly chatting away while their animals were left in dire conditions.

Now I'm not naive and I know this is a massive problem in most places, however this time I don't think I can ignore it. I left the shop without buying anything to fund their actions, but honestly feel something needs to be done. These are the people teaching naive owners how to look after their pets and they can't even be bothered to do a daily spot clean. I am mortified that those poor animals are still stuck their and so overpriced it will be hard for them to be sold to what could be a better life.

Anyway I was writing because I needed to hear from like-minded people about this and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of actions I can take that may make a difference?

Thanks for your time :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You can offer care advice in a kind and gentle manner without criticism. If that doesn't work, ask to talk to the owner/manager and offer him the kind advice. Just remember, as soon as you become accusatory, you lose their attention. If you want them to listen to you, you need to be humble.

Hi again - sorry I really hope I don't sound super arrogant. I only own one baby tortoise but am keen on proper care so was upset by what I'd seen. I've researched lots and this is how I recognised the improper care but I am certainly not an expert and am definitely still learning myself all the time - this is why I was hesitant to say anything because I don't I don't want to get in a sticky argument or offend anyone or start anything unnecessary - I just want the best for those animals.
How would the best way to mention this be would you say? In order to avoid offense or accusation? I really don't know what I'd say to start off you know?

Oh and also from my description do you think it is important that I act on this or am I making a mountain from a molehill?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I totally agree with Yvonne and is usually what I do tell people. The one thing I also tell people, is to do something. Don't turn your head on them and just complain if your not gong to do something to hopefully make their lives better.
So glad your willing to be those tortosies voice. If you need help, print out the cars sheets from this forum. Offer the help and knowledge. Good luck, keep us posted. Btw, if they do nothing to better their lives, call whatever kind of animal welfare and rescue you have.

Chenderson

Lancashire, Blackpool
The care I've seen in pet shops in general is atrocious near myself in the N/W. I got my RF from a pet shop specializing in reptiles, they advised me with the wrong substrate and several other bad words of wisdom. I think it's difficult to judge some of the people working in these pet shops, it must be difficult to keep ideal care for dozens of species/sub-species at once. Personally I suspect the pet shop near me of shifty importing also. I no longer go to the 'large' pet shops in my local area, I've found a person near to me that runs his own little pet shop, and he stocks brilliant stuff, every time I go in he asks me about my tortoise and actually takes on any new information I give him.

If I was you, genuinely concerned, I would write them a letter/email initially, see if they respond, or if it merely dismissed. Next time you visit the pet store see if they have changed the conditions, at that point I would take it further. I don't believe it is malicious, I genuinely don't think a lot of people in these pet shops have a clue about half the animals they keep.

I think the UK suffers from a bad case of ignorance with reptiles, likely due to a lack of available information or even the correct stock in most stores. I have seen several tortoises for sale in the UK that look like they are on deaths door, and their owners don't have a clue.

As a side note, the store from which I got my redfoot, they would keep up to half a dozen of the same breed tortoise in 2-3 foot long vivarium, wrong substrates, food, and this place is probably the most reputable in my area, and has been running for a very long time. The people running it are lovely though, and they do try their best to care for the animals they have. I do believe they fly through their stock though, the animals generally don't stay in those conditions for long.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
You are not arrogant and neither are you making a mountain out of a molehill.
It's a very difficult thing to do, especially as a young lady. Here's my advice for what it's worth.
Play the concerned female, gently say it makes you sad and that no one will buy tortoises if they see the condition they are kept in, offer to clean the tank yourself, (they won't let you) take Wellington's suggestion and use the care sheets as ammunition, and finally, if they don't respond well and the manager is no better, say you will contact a friend at the RSPCA .
Unfortunately, beak trimming is probably beyond their comprehension or ability. They probably don't have the room to house each tortoise separately. pet shops usually can't.
If you feel unable to do this, it may just be easier and more effective to contact the RSPCA anyway.
You don't owe the pet shop anything.
And please don't take russian/sulcata/tortoise seriously. He is a young man who loves tortoises and gets upset when they are mistreated.
Good luck.

Hi again,
Thanks everyone for all of your help. I am going back to uni until the next weekend so will probably send a gently mannered email perhaps including links to the care sheets and take it from there.
I totally agree Chenderson - I believe I've chatted to the manager before and he was very nice and enthusiastic about the animals in the shop however it is rather large- probably the biggest I've ever been in, two stories in an industrial estate. It has everything from chipmunks to goldfish to monitors and therefore it is completely understandable that sufficient care is very difficult. However I do think if the shop is not manageable then it should not be allowed to exist in that way because for me it's all about every animal receiving fair treatment and being allowed quality of life.
I'm very passionate about animals and am very sensitive to the fact that they are easily mistreated and disrespected just because they can't speak to us so will definitely pursue the issue and will let you all know of any developments.
Thanks again and fingers crossed we can improve the lives of these animals and the people running the shop. :)

You are not arrogant and neither are you making a mountain out of a molehill.
It's a very difficult thing to do, especially as a young lady. Here's my advice for what it's worth.
Play the concerned female, gently say it makes you sad and that no one will buy tortoises if they see the condition they are kept in, offer to clean the tank yourself, (they won't let you) take Wellington's suggestion and use the care sheets as ammunition, and finally, if they don't respond well and the manager is no better, say you will contact a friend at the RSPCA .
Unfortunately, beak trimming is probably beyond their comprehension or ability. They probably don't have the room to house each tortoise separately. pet shops usually can't.
If you feel unable to do this, it may just be easier and more effective to contact the RSPCA anyway.
You don't owe the pet shop anything.
And please don't take russian/sulcata/tortoise seriously. He is a young man who loves tortoises and gets upset when they are mistreated.
Good luck.

Sorry I just saw this and didn't want you to think I'd ignored it because I appreciate your reply and take it all on board :) and don't worry I didn't but do understand his anger!
We all love these wonderful creatures I hope I can make a difference but will definitely contact the rspcabif my efforts appear to be in vain.
Thank you so much for your support as I said earlier it's great to hear from like-minded people :)

And when I say they can't speak to us I mean in a way that is easy to understand ie English or any language - that's the beauty of pet keeping, learning to understand what your pet is saying to you in their own way and i didnt mean to ignore that x

To sum that one up - one of the things I hate most about this world is that animals are thought to be worth a lot less than us because they aren't part of our 'amazing species'. Really animals are fantastic and a world without them, to me, would truly be nothing. Anyone agree?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
To sum that one up - one of the things I hate most about this world is that animals are thought to be worth a lot less than us because they aren't part of our 'amazing species'. Really animals are fantastic and a world without them, to me, would truly be nothing. Anyone agree?
I don't like to speak for other people, but I think everyone on this forum would agree with that, and there's a lot of us!