One eye closed during brumation check

Location (City and/or State)
90039 (CA)
So we weigh our desert tortoise every couple weeks or so during hibernation. His weight has been staying pretty healthy, but we've noticed the last couple times that we've taken him out he's only opened his right eye, when we weigh him. Is it normal for them to keep one eye closed if they're taken out to be checked during hibernation - or is that a warning sign? (Pictures attached, his left closed eye may look a bit puffier than normal, but can't really tell)

Unknown-1.jpeg Unknown.jpeg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
So we weigh our desert tortoise every couple weeks or so during hibernation. His weight has been staying pretty healthy, but we've noticed the last couple times that we've taken him out he's only opened his right eye, when we weigh him. Is it normal for them to keep one eye closed if they're taken out to be checked during hibernation - or is that a warning sign? (Pictures attached, his left closed eye may look a bit puffier than normal, but can't really tell)

View attachment 264370 View attachment 264371
Sorry no one has replied to you!

I do the same thing with my DT re' the weighing. Last time I took him out, his left eye was shut too. So I weighed him, and kept him out for another minute or so. The eye opened.

If the eye doesn't look sunken in, and I don't think it does, personally I would just leave it alone.

If it's still not opening next time you take him out, I would take a Q-tip, wet with warm water, and gently wipe the lid of his eye. He could just have some "sleepy gunk" in there.

I'll ask @Yvonne G what she thinks. She knows all about this kind of problem.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I think you should stop disturbing him.
I bring Chug out for 1 weight check, halfway through his brumation. Other than that, about every 2-3 weeks I just reach in and touch a foot to check for response.
Do you think that is too much disturbance?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I bring Chug out for 1 weight check, halfway through his brumation. Other than that, about every 2-3 weeks I just reach in and touch a foot to check for response.
Do you think that is too much disturbance?

The foot tickle is fine...just don't blast on a bright light....I have a super dim light that I use....to make sure I am tickling a foot and not, well, not a foot....eww...LOL....I only do this now a few times through out the entire tortoise beauty rest time....

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

View attachment 264370 View attachment 264371
Oh by the way...he is beautiful:)-

90039 (CA)
Thanks! We love him!

And a little backstory: he had a minor prolapse right before brumation (it resolved on it's own), but at our vet's advice we've been checking him a bit more frequently during this brumation period than we would normally do. Hence the initial question if the one eye-closed thing we've noticed when we've been checking him is anything to be concerned about.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Thanks! We love him!

And a little backstory: he had a minor prolapse right before brumation (it resolved on it's own), but at our vet's advice we've been checking him a bit more frequently during this brumation period than we would normally do. Hence the initial question if the one eye-closed thing we've noticed when we've been checking him is anything to be concerned about.

So, by your zip code you are in Los Angeles? How is your tort doing/appear now?

90039 (CA)
So, by your zip code you are in Los Angeles? How is your tort doing/appear now?
Yup. Los Angeles! We checked on him again yesterday, same eye was closed the whole time when we weighed him, but we left him out for a minute longer and he slowly opened it a little. So far, perfectly healthy - I'll be happy once we get through this brumation season!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yup. Los Angeles! We checked on him again yesterday, same eye was closed the whole time when we weighed him, but we left him out for a minute longer and he slowly opened it a little. So far, perfectly healthy - I'll be happy once we get through this brumation season!

Yes, it is a very stressful time for us as well :)