Open top?

SamHungnail

Location (City and/or State)
London
I'm hoping to adopt a Hermann's tortoise soon, and I've build this as an indoor enclosure for it. There is a wood piece for the floor too, just not in the house right now. Anyway, im worried about keeping in heat with the open top. Do you guys think it will be okay? If not, what should i do to resolve it?

Attachments

• 20230923_203029.jpg
    20230923_203029.jpg
    502.6 KB · Views: 7

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm hoping to adopt a Hermann's tortoise soon, and I've build this as an indoor enclosure for it. There is a wood piece for the floor too, just not in the house right now. Anyway, im worried about keeping in heat with the open top. Do you guys think it will be okay? If not, what should i do to resolve it?
What size and age tortoise? Open tops can work for adults, but vivariums work better for babies.

Start here and look for the temperate species care sheet near the bottom:

SamHungnail

London
I havent yet decided what breeder I'm buying from, but as of today I've messaged two. The first breeder is selling a hatching born just this may, and the other is selling one which was born in the summer of 2021 (so two and a bit years old). Im not sure I want to buy a vivarium, so I probably wont get the first one.
Would a two year old be alright in this open top? Or would adjustments have to be made?