open top enclosures and humidity??

gtc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Norway
How do members using open top tortoise tables keep humidity up? I started with an open top enclosure but had to cover it almost completely due to humidity issues. With the top off my humidity used to drop to 30-40% on cool side and down to 15% under basking spot.

I wish a closed enclosure wasn't necessary since it makes some things more difficult:

1. Cleaning the enclosure.
2. Creating a proper temperature gradiant (hard to get the temps low enough on cool end)
3. Lighting issues: the height of lights is restricted by the plexiglass cover.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's no other way to keep the cool house air out and the warm moist air in besides covering the habitat. I use aluminum foil.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
gtc said:
How do members using open top tortoise tables keep humidity up? I started with an open top enclosure but had to cover it almost completely due to humidity issues. With the top off my humidity used to drop to 30-40% on cool side and down to 15% under basking spot.

I wish a closed enclosure wasn't necessary since it makes some things more difficult:

2. Creating a proper temperature gradiant (hard to get the temps low enough on cool end)

1. The entire front of my closed chambers opens up. I find this easier than doing things from the top.
2. This would be difficult in a smaller chamber, but its easy in anything that is 4' or longer.
3. I think this also relates to number two. The height of my chambers is 24". I have no problem moving lights up or down, or just using lower wattage bulbs, which I prefer anyway. I am not able to use a 160 watt MVB in my chambers, but two 65 watt floods work perfectly. Its 100 under the bulbs and it tapers down away from those hot spots. I use a CHE on a thermostat to maintain ambient. I could set this at 60-65 for Testudo sp., or I set it at 80 for tropical species. During the day. the basking bulb raise the ambient up nicely, which simulates what happens in the wild. Lights kick off at night and the whole things cools down until the CHE kicks in.

These things are more difficult in a smaller chamber, but I don't think smaller chambers are suitable for animals that would walk miles a day if out in the wild.

Let me know if this makes sense to you, or in what way it is problematic for your particular situation. Maybe we can think of a solution to make it work better for you.

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
Tom said:
gtc said:

1. The entire front of my closed chambers opens up. I find this easier than doing things from the top.
2. This would be difficult in a smaller chamber, but its easy in anything that is 4' or longer.
3. I think this also relates to number two. The height of my chambers is 24". I have no problem moving lights up or down, or just using lower wattage bulbs, which I prefer anyway. I am not able to use a 160 watt MVB in my chambers, but two 65 watt floods work perfectly. Its 100 under the bulbs and it tapers down away from those hot spots. I use a CHE on a thermostat to maintain ambient. I could set this at 60-65 for Testudo sp., or I set it at 80 for tropical species. During the day. the basking bulb raise the ambient up nicely, which simulates what happens in the wild. Lights kick off at night and the whole things cools down until the CHE kicks in.

These things are more difficult in a smaller chamber, but I don't think smaller chambers are suitable for animals that would walk miles a day if out in the wild.

Let me know if this makes sense to you, or in what way it is problematic for your particular situation. Maybe we can think of a solution to make it work better for you.

Thanks,

I dont have a small enclosure (its 6.1 feet by 30inches) for my 2-3 year old greek. However the sides are not very tall since it is a display case flat on its back.

I guess I should just make a new enclosure with taller sides and a door that opens on its side like you have.

Actually after reading and learning daily from this forum I have come to the same conclusion as you and Yvonne. So many people here post pictures of their open tort tables and get positive comments from other members. It really makes me wonder what humidity levels they manage and if there torts grow smooth?