open top enclosure help

mattramsfan76

i have talked to a few people about my open top enclosure that i have already built for my leopard tortoise that i am getting next week. I need to put some sort of top on it. I have been advised to put either a screen or plexiglass on top of it. i would really like to use the plexiglass idea as it will keep the humidity and heat in the enclosure much better than a tight knit screen would. but the problem is i don't have the power tools to cut large enough holes into it for the lighting fixture. Any ideas? either different kind of top or does any one know if a lowes or home depot will cut it for me? thanks

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Take a pattern to a glass shop. They can work with plexiglass also.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
If you choose to go with the screen top, you can still cover it to create a closed chamber.

For one chamber, I use clear wrapping paper to cover the screen. I tape it along the perimeter of the screen top. Then I trace the light fixtures on the clear sheet and cut out the holes. Then I line the holes with a 2" rim of aluminum foil. I extend the foil ring under the light base by 1" and out from the base by the other 1".

Make sense? Here are some photos to help you understand.
469 435.jpg
471 125.jpg

I've had it this way for over a year. Before that I used only aluminum foil but I like being able to see through the top ;)
Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:

mattramsfan76

Team Gomberg said:
If you choose to go with the screen top, you can still cover it to create a closed chamber.

For one chamber, I use clear wrapping paper to cover the screen. I tape it along the perimeter of the screen top. Then I trace the light fixtures on the clear sheet and cut out the holes. Then I line the holes with a 2" rim of aluminum foil. I extend the foil ring under the light base by 1" and out from the base by the other 1".

Make sense? Here are some photos to help you understand.

I've had it this way for over a year. Before that I used only aluminum foil but I like being able to see through the top ;)
Hope this helps!

this helps a lot. thank you so much. is the clear wrapping paper like the paper they wrap holiday gift baskets in? and what is the foil exactly used for? if you don't mind me asking.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
and what is the foil exactly used for? if you don't mind me asking
What?! How dare you ask me!! LOL :p

I bought the clear wrapping paper at the either the dollar store or walmart. Yes it is used for gift baskets.
I imagine this wrapping paper/clear plastic could melt from touching the hot light base. It would be a fire hazard. That's why the foil ring is there.

mattramsfan76

Team Gomberg said:
and what is the foil exactly used for? if you don't mind me asking
What?! How dare you ask me!! LOL :p

I bought the clear wrapping paper at the either the dollar store or walmart. Yes it is used for gift baskets.
I imagine this wrapping paper/clear plastic could melt from touching the hot light base. It would be a fire hazard. That's why the foil ring is there.

ok awesome. that will be the easy part. Now i just have to build a screen for the size enclosure i have. ANY ideas on that? I'm not very innovative i suppose. lol haha

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
My mom tried to make screen windows for her house once. She said it was a pain to do and regrets that she did it herself each time she sees them. LOL So, I don't think I'd attempt to build a screen EVER based on her experience. Maybe others have ideas for ya on how to do that ;)

Do you have photos of your tort table? We might be able to give you ideas on how to make your cover if we saw what you have to work with. Just a thought..

mattramsfan76

Team Gomberg said:
My mom tried to make screen windows for her house once. She said it was a pain to do and regrets that she did it herself each time she sees them. LOL So, I don't think I'd attempt to build a screen EVER based on her experience. Maybe others have ideas for ya on how to do that ;)

Do you have photos of your tort table? We might be able to give you ideas on how to make your cover if we saw what you have to work with. Just a thought..

its literally a 42" X 22" box with 12" high walls and a plywood bottom.

abclements

5 Year Member
Just create a wooden rectangle that fits your enclosure using 1"X2" boards. Buy a fairly thick gauge wire and screw it into each corner.

I'd just use a little bit of chicken wire and make sure it is fairly tight across the opening.