screen door for an enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rover15

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario canada
i'm building my tortoise table, type enclosure how ever I want to add a drop down door has any one used screen instead of plexiglass? is screen safe? I know it will make it harder to keep the humidity up with a screen instead of plexiglass however I would be building the other side walls up to 16-20" give or take also depends on if i'm adding a second floor.

so my question is simply is it safe to use screen? im thinking either chicken wire or screen with half inch squares

thoughts? opinions?

sorry also want to add if it wasn't clear enough that it is an indoor enclosure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Screen is to tight of a mesh to let the UVB through. Make it out of chicken wire or hardware fabric. Plastic and glass doesn't work either, as UVB can't go through that either.

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
My enclosure has a screen on top. I just cover it with a light weight blanket to keep the humidity up. If it ever warms up (in Maine) I could take it off. I like the flexibility it offers. I like the idea of an enclosure as big as a screen door. Has hinges. Cool idea.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
wellington said:
Screen is to tight of a mesh to let the UVB through. Make it out of chicken wire or hardware fabric. Plastic and glass doesn't work either, as UVB can't go through that either.

Sorry if my first post wasn't clear this is for a wall that would be a door something like a draw bridge on a castle is that makes it sound better

I'm worried that the tort might rub agaist the screen causing. Harm

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, so the light/UVB won't have to go through it, correct.? Then I don't think the screen would hurt. Actually there is a screen that is plastic coated. It is little more expensive then regular screen, but not as harsh. I bought it for my chameleon, so it wouldn't be so hard on his toes if he climbed it.

Also, what you could do. Use regular screen. Then if s/he rubs on it too much, you could add a strip of wood to it only at the height and width that s/he reaches. Then most of it would still be screen, but s/he would only be able to rub on the wood strip.
Hopes this helps. Don't forget pics when your finished.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
I have been taking pictures a long the way it is a "ghetto" tortoise table in the sense I've made it all out of skid/pallet wood that I have stripped down if it works out then should be a great thread on an cheap way to build an enclosure ideally I would like to use plexiglass but then that would add to the cost so I might do both a screen then the plexiglass just want to make sure it would be safe

Thank you for the help XD I'm hoping to be done by sunday night. I have 3 kids under 5 so I get interupted a lot lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Rover15 said:
I have been taking pictures a long the way it is a "ghetto" tortoise table in the sense I've made it all out of skid/pallet wood that I have stripped down if it works out then should be a great thread on an cheap way to build an enclosure ideally I would like to use plexiglass but then that would add to the cost so I might do both a screen then the plexiglass just want to make sure it would be safe

Thank you for the help XD I'm hoping to be done by sunday night. I have 3 kids under 5 so I get interupted a lot lol

Three under 5. I am very impressed you can even think about building this. Can wait to see it.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
wellington said:
Rover15 said:

Three under 5. I am very impressed you can even think about building this. Can wait to see it.

I have an amazing wife who understands I go nuts with out work , I took time off after my youngest was born to stay home and help out but I'm getting excited every step of the way

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
So the screen/mess is a bust I've built my enclosure but I'm having a ton of heating issues, not to mention last night my exoterra solar glo 125w MVB blew on me. So I'm taking that back tomorrow to exchange it, going to see if they will let me exchange it for the 160w prob not but worth a shot

I build a screen never attached it as even with out it I can't keep temps up :(
t7z9yx.jpg

I might start a new thread to see if I can get suggestions on heating but just let everyone know the screen will not work for me anyways thanks for all the help

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Rover15 said:
So the screen/mess is a bust I've built my enclosure but I'm having a ton of heating issues, not to mention last night my exoterra solar glo 125w MVB blew on me. So I'm taking that back tomorrow to exchange it, going to see if they will let me exchange it for the 160w prob not but worth a shot

I build a screen never attached it as even with out it I can't keep temps up :(

I might start a new thread to see if I can get suggestions on heating but just let everyone know the screen will not work for me anyways thanks for all the help

Where did you buy it?

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
Bought it the 22nd of jan but only used it since thursday it is well with in the 6 month warrenty from exo terra but past the 7 days store exchange. The warrenty says that I'm suppose to take it back to the store where I bought it. I have the recipet and the box and everything

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Rover15 said:
Bought it the 22nd of jan but only used it since thursday it is well with in the 6 month warrenty from exo terra but past the 7 days store exchange. The warrenty says that I'm suppose to take it back to the store where I bought it. I have the recipet and the box and everything

Hopefully they let you and you can just pay the difference.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I don't see why it would matter. I'm surprised they are the same price. Solar glos are 34.99 and 39.99 at my work and power suns are 49.99 and 59.99, althought power suns are usually on sale.

I pretty much buy ZooMed for all my reptile items, higher quality then exo for the most part, especially when it comes to UVB lighting

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
Here in canada my exo terra ones are 61.99 and zoo med 99.99 next time I'll order it online found them cheaper but didn't want to wait for delivery and if it didn't work as this one has I didn't want to have to pay for shipping and wait again for an other one.

But is there a temp difference between the 2?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I would honestly just exchange it for the power sun and pay the difference. I thought that was what you were wanting to do but I misread.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
Because I'm passed the 7 day store pollicy I'll only beable to exchange it for exo terra bulb however I'm hoping I can get the larger size 1601 instead of the 125 that blew out

Status
Not open for further replies.