How many UVB bulbs are needed when a screen top is used

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisefanatic

5 Year Member
My new baby Pancake tortoise's enclosure is a 40 gallon tank with a screen top to keep our cats out. The tank is about 18 inches tall. Right now for a UVB source I'm using a 26 watt Repti Glo 10.0 CFB that is suspended above the screen an inch or so. My question is this going to provide enough UBV rays for the little guy? He will get outside some, but I don't have a secure outdoor enclosure built for him yet, and may not for a year or so. I've heard that the screens block UVB, but I've got to keep something over the cage to keep my cats away. Any thoughts? I appreciate any advise....

Alan

Jacob

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Yes Your Little Guy Will Be Getting Rays, Dont Worry :)
Annd You Said You Have A Reptiglo 10.0?
If Its The Coil Bulb, Take it Out and Dont Use It, It Can Cause Eye Problems, damage and Even Blindness!

I Would Perfer For You To Switch To A Powersun 100w uvb and heat
and a exo terrra 120w uvb and heat :)

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Yes screen does block some of the UV the smaller the holes the less get's can you post some pic's of your setup ?:)

tortoisefanatic

5 Year Member
I'll try to post pics here soon. The screen has a small mesh size, probably about 0.125" square. I'm not sure using 220 watts of bulbs is ok. Between the 26 watt UVB coil bulb (bad, I guess?), I've got a 75 watt infared spot, and a 15 watt regular CFB. Temps in the warm end average in the mid 90s, while they are in the mid 80s in the "cool" end. That seems about right for a Pancake, so I've been told. Does the Powersun and Exo Terra bulbs not put out that much heat?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I would loss the coil bulb if you got a 100 watt Power sun you shouldn't need the 75 watt spot do use anything at night?

M

Maggie Cummings

Coil bulbs cause eye damage, if it were mine I would toss it. I had 3 hatchling Sulcata and a coil bulb caused one to have severe eye damage and one died. So I don't trust those bulbs at all. You seriously need to stop using it before you have a sick tortoise on your hands. I am not some flake just tossing information at you. I am an experienced keeper who is telling you that those coil bulbs cause serious eye damage in tortoises. If your tortoise is getting sun all he needs is 20 minutes or so a day.

Cats don't like tortoises and if one gets in the habitat all he wants to do is bask under the light. I would only use the screen outside as protection from predators...

tortoisefanatic

5 Year Member
I used to keep the 75 watt infared on at night, but the temps were staying in the upper 80s to low 90s. When I turned the light off, the overnight temp dropped to the upper 70s to low 80s. I figured that was more representative of his native environment.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
With the screen top, I use a Powersun 100W at one end and a 100W CHE at the other!

Status
Not open for further replies.