opinion on keeping 2 sulcatas

Status
Not open for further replies.

krh11b23

5 Year Member
I would like to hear some opinions please on keeping 2 sulcatas. I currently have 1 that is a year old. I found and would like to adopt another that is a year and a half. I would just like to hear some thoughts on this before I adopt another thanks.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
They may get along, they may not. You should be prepared to keep them separated if need be.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
At that age it is unlikely they would fight, but they would probably compete for food and basking spots. 2 sulcatas rarely work out together well.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
They may not "fight" but one could bully the other by pushing it around, eating all the food, hogging all the best spots. It is possible to do, but, as stated, you need to be prepared to have two set ups if it is not working out. You need to have two set ups to begin with, because you MUST quarantine the new tortoise away from your existing tortoise for 3-6 months do avoid potentially making your tortoise sick. Illnesses in chelonians can take a long time to show up, which is why the quarantine is so long.

If they both turn out to be male (which is likely) you could have an all out nightmare battle on your hands once they get to 15+ lbs.

So, you have to ask yourself if that eventuality is something you can handle. Can you maintain them properly in separate environments if needed? That is the main question. Do you have adequate space for housing two potentially 36" 150lb tortoises?

Status
Not open for further replies.