2 sulcatas, 2 different sizes...help

moretimerNdodley

That's a boy for sure. Break out the Blue cigars… and start building separate pens… :)
Oh boy! Lol..... 2 enclosures for sure. Still have a bit of time before the younger can go outside... Too cold.

I hate that the new one has pyramiding..... The breeder was supposed to have been soooooo good too. Can that be reversed and healed? I've already looked at posts about feeding, and I'm feeding the correct stuff, just hate that it wasn't feed correctly since hatchling.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Feeding has little to do with why pyramiding happens. Baby sulcatas hatch out in the wild during the monsoon season. This warm, wet and humid environment is what makes him grow smoothly. This is new and not many backyard breeders know about it, so they are still raising them on alfalfa pellets under hot dry lights. You can't reverse the pyramiding that your tortoise has already (and please take the "healed" thought out of your mind. He's not sick. It's merely cosmetic.) but you can help the new growth to start smoothing out by adding humidity and moisture to his environment.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Can that be reversed and healed? I've already looked at posts about feeding, and I'm feeding the correct stuff, just hate that it wasn't feed correctly since hatchling.
I'm with Yvonne here on this one. Can you please direct me to a thread supporting food contributing to pyramiding? I'm sorry, I'm just really wanting you to reread and study this more throughly.

moretimerNdodley

I'm with Yvonne here on this one. Can you please direct me to a thread supporting food contributing to pyramiding? I'm sorry, I'm just really wanting you to reread and study this more throughly.
I didn't know just what causes pyramiding...I just assumed it was poor feeding habits..... But it's humidity...I can handle that. Can pyramiding be stopped? So MBD is from diet, NOT pyramiding??
thanks for the patience with these questions as it's hard to know I'm doing it wrong.