2 sulcatas, 2 different sizes...help

moretimerNdodley

I have 2 sulcatas. Both females (we think). I need to know is it dangerous to put 2 different sized torts together. The difference is pretty big. 20 lbs. and 5 lbs.
Moretimer is 6 years old. She has lived alone and so we got another one...Dodley who is 1 year old. I haven't put them together yet, but in 5 months I wanted to move them both outside together... Is this a good idea or no?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
That's a monster to be 5 pounds at 1.

I wouldn't put them together, torts don't do good in pairs.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings.

In a nutshell, keeping two sullys together like you describe is a no go. There are lots of threads throughout this forum with this same question. Torts don't need or want company. They will fight and bully. In this case, you can probably be certain that the big one will easily bully the smaller one. Large one will eat most if not all of the food, will take the best basking place, will steal the best shade, etc. it's best to keep separate enclosures. You have your hands full! Good luck, upload some pix.

I'm sure others will chime in with similar advice. @Tom should be along soon!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No. No. And no. Did I remember to tell you no?

Tortoises are territorial and they fight to make the interloper get out of the territory.

Also, chances are VERY good that your two sulcatas are male. The females are not as common as the males, plus, you really can't tell the gender until they get to be about 10lbs or so.

It won't bode well for the smaller tortoise, who may end up seriously injured or even dead.

This means two habitats for the rest of their lives. Two outside yards big enough to house them. Two enclosures. Did I remember to say TWO HABITATS?

If you'll post a picture of the underside of Mortimer showing his tail, we can tell you for sure if he's a boy or a girl. Well, of course he's a boy or a girl, silly. What I meant was we will be able to let you know his gender.

moretimerNdodley

Mmmmmm, I see... Ok, well I'm confused cause sanctuaries, zoos, and rescuses have torts together, so I now have no clue what to think. Is it the size difference, the sex or the torts, or the age difference that has you all saying not to do it.
I'm asking for advise, I will heed the warnings.
TY

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you'll notice in those sanctuaries and zoos, there's not just two tortoises together. It works ok with a group, but hardly ever with two.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have 2 sulcatas. Both females (we think). I need to know is it dangerous to put 2 different sized torts together. The difference is pretty big. 20 lbs. and 5 lbs.
Moretimer is 6 years old. She has lived alone and so we got another one...Dodley who is 1 year old. I haven't put them together yet, but in 5 months I wanted to move them both outside together... Is this a good idea or no?

Just for one more answer…

Its dangerous to put two that are the same size together. Arguably more dangerous than differently sized ones.

Groups with one male or no male can sometimes work, but pairs are always a problem.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mmmmmm, I see... Ok, well I'm confused cause sanctuaries, zoos, and rescuses have torts together, so I now have no clue what to think. Is it the size difference, the sex or the torts, or the age difference that has you all saying not to do it.
I'm asking for advise, I will heed the warnings.
TY

In very large enclosures I have seen mixed groups of several dozen work out, but there is still a lot of fighting, and many times a male, or a few males will have to be separated out and live all alone.

moretimerNdodley

Thank you all for your help. I live on 5 achers and moretimer has 1 1/2 of them alone. It looks like our new baby Dodely will now get the other 1/2 to himself.
Thanks so much for the advise... It helped

moretimerNdodley

In very large enclosures I have seen mixed groups of several dozen work out, but there is still a lot of fighting, and many times a male, or a few males will have to be separated out and live all alone.
Tom what do you think about other animals and torts.? Dogs for example? Are dogs safe around torts and vise-a-versa?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tom what do you think about other animals and torts.? Dogs for example? Are dogs safe around torts and vise-a-versa?

Case in point:

Mildred, a California desert tortoise, lived all her life, from hatchling to adulthood in the back yard. About 15 years ago the people bought a lab puppy. For those 15 years the lab and the tortoise shared the yard. (Actually, this rescue happened about 3 years ago, but for the sake of the story, I'm fudging a bit) Then the people went away on vacation for a week, leaving a house sitter and turtle friendly person in charge. When they got home from vacation they found that the lab had chewed off Mildred's left front leg, bone and all. For 15 years the dog got along with the tortoise. They gave up the tortoise and kept the dog. My sister glued a furniture slide on Mildred's plastron so she'd slide across the grass. Turned out ok for the tortoise, but other tortoises haven't been so lucky.

moretimerNdodley

So here is Moretimer inside during a freaky freeze we had. The power went off in his outside enclosure so he came inside. Just from looking at him, can you tell me anything about him? Pyramiding, dehydration, sex..... I'm learning all kinds of new stuff just being on this forum so thank you so much for all that you all do to help owners like myself.

image.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So here is Moretimer inside during a freaky freeze we had. The power went off in his outside enclosure so he came inside. Just from looking at him, can you tell me anything about him? Pyramiding, dehydration, sex..... I'm learning all kinds of new stuff just being on this forum so thank you so much for all that you all do to help owners like myself.

His gular scutes are looking male, but we'd ned to see the tail and anal scutes to be sure. Have someone hold him with his head pointed up and his carapace up against their body and take a picture of the plastron and tail.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

People tend to worry about wild animals like hawks, coyotes and raccoons. While these can be a threat, the greatest threat to tortoises is the loving family dog. The dog should not be allowed in the tortoise area and vice versa.

In my experience the three biggest killers of tortoises are domestic dogs, dehydration in babies, and incorrect temperature management.

moretimerNdodley

His gular scutes are looking male, but we'd ned to see the tail and anal scutes to be sure. Have someone hold him with his head pointed up and his carapace up against their body and take a picture of the plastron and tail.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I'm not Tom, but let me tell you what I've learned here from others…DOGS LOVE TORTOISES LIKE THEY LOVE RAWHIDE BONES. THEY'LL CHEW AND KNAW ON THEM UNTIL THERE IS NOTHIG LEFT.
Regarding a pair of sulcata together, here's a picture of a pair I took in as rescues that were kept together and are the same age. Trust me with this, 2 always turns into 1 being dominant and 1 being wimpy,(picked on)ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1485704414.985970.jpgthe smaller of the 2 had some real shell/bone issues.

Last edited: