Opinions on enclosure please

MickeysMummy

Location (City and/or State)
London, United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

So today I've set my vivarium up, put the substrate, hygrometers, basking stone, decorations etc so I can get an idea of how it will look and see if anything needs to be changed or adjusted before my babies come in a week or so. I'd love to hear some opinions from you guys, if you think I've done something wrong, please let me know. The wires and the white line at the back (I used to have a shelf there for a bearded dragon) will be covered by plants and things when I get some in the next few days.

Thanks for any ideas/tips you can give!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 59
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 40
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 41
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 39

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.:tort:

Please allow me to point out that glass is not recommended for torts enclosures: these cute little animals do not understand the concept of glass, and would keep struggling to get out, consequently t his causes stress.:(

Sorry for what came above.;)I do not mean to upset you, ok?

MickeysMummy

London, United Kingdom
Hi Gillian, thank you!

I did read that glass can upset tortoises but have been ensured by my breeder that they will be fine. He said Indian Star tortoises are ideal to live in vivariums so I'm going to see how it goes and if there's a problem I will put something in front of the glass to block their view out, but thanks so much for your advice, I'm not upset at all, I really value the opinions of people who are far more experienced.

In regards to my set up, do you think it's ok? The substrate is organic topsoil with a layer of fine grade Orchid bark on top and some Readi-grass.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
What kind of tortoise are you getting? Timothy hay may mold if you need a high humidity environment

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
From what I can see it looks good. How many are you getting? Tortoises don't do well in pairs. What are the dimensions? Are you able to keep humidity up? I am going too assume you are doing test runs with the heat and humidity before their arrival.

MickeysMummy

London, United Kingdom
From what I can see it looks good. How many are you getting? Tortoises don't do well in pairs. What are the dimensions? Are you able to keep humidity up? I am going too assume you are doing test runs with the heat and humidity before their arrival.

Well I am actually getting a pair because the breeder has ensured me they will be absolutely fine and he's very well known on this forum and others so I have no reason to distrust what he says, however I do have a spare identical vivarium so should there be any issues I can separate them.

I am currently monitoring the temperatures and humidity but having problems at the moment. I've got a reading of 41c on the basking spot, 33c on the cool side. I've only got a 70w heat bulb in there at the minute so I'm surprised at how hot it is. Also the humidity is very high, reading 95% in the cool end and 84% in the hot end (the water dish is in the cool end which is why I think it's higher that side) I am wondering if it's because of the substrate? I have Organic topsoil with Orchid bark on top.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Well I am actually getting a pair because the breeder has ensured me they will be absolutely fine and he's very well known on this forum and others so I have no reason to distrust what he says, however I do have a spare identical vivarium so should there be any issues I can separate them.

I am currently monitoring the temperatures and humidity but having problems at the moment. I've got a reading of 41c on the basking spot, 33c on the cool side. I've only got a 70w heat bulb in there at the minute so I'm surprised at how hot it is. Also the humidity is very high, reading 95% in the cool end and 84% in the hot end (the water dish is in the cool end which is why I think it's higher that side) I am wondering if it's because of the substrate? I have Organic topsoil with Orchid bark on top.
Someone well known on this forum said pairs were fine?!

Ummm... not sure who it is, but pairs are not fine more often than not.

Groups of 3 or more may be OK, but pairs are not generally recommended

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi Gillian, thank you!

I did read that glass can upset tortoises but have been ensured by my breeder that they will be fine. He said Indian Star tortoises are ideal to live in vivariums so I'm going to see how it goes and if there's a problem I will put something in front of the glass to block their view out, but thanks so much for your advice, I'm not upset at all, I really value the opinions of people who are far more experienced.

In regards to my set up, do you think it's ok? The substrate is organic topsoil with a layer of fine grade Orchid bark on top and some Readi-grass.

A lovely enclosure. :<3:

If the breeder said your tort will be fine in a glass vivarium, then fair enough: he definitely knows better that I do.;) But, as was mentioned; please separate your torts so as to avoid bullying. ;)

MickeysMummy

London, United Kingdom
Someone well known on this forum said pairs were fine?!

Ummm... not sure who it is, but pairs are not fine more often than not.

Groups of 3 or more may be OK, but pairs are not generally recommended

He's not on this forum, he's a breeder that is very well known on this forum. I have seen his name mentioned on several posts and always with high praise, which is why I am confident he knows what he is talking about but as I have already said, IF there is a problem I am able to separate them. At the moment I'm more concerned about the temperatures. But thank you for your response.

MickeysMummy

London, United Kingdom
A lovely enclosure. :<3:

If the breeder said your tort will be fine in a glass vivarium, then fair enough: he definitely knows better that I do.;) But, as was mentioned; please separate your torts so as to avoid bullying. ;)

Thank you Gillian :)

Yeah he says they will be fine in a vivarium and he also says that Stars are fine in pairs which is why I went for 2 but if I do have any problems I have got another Viv so I can separate them :):tort:

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thank you Gillian :)

Yeah he says they will be fine in a vivarium and he also says that Stars are fine in pairs which is why I went for 2 but if I do have any problems I have got another Viv so I can separate them :):tort:
Fair enough. :) In case the torts begin "fighting" (hope the don't), you're on the safe side and ready. :DWell done!:tort:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What are you using to read temps? Be sure not to use those cheap disc type that most pet stores sell. They usually are unreliable. The digital with probe are best and a point and shoot temp gun is a good tool to have on hand and don't cost much. Oh, and if you have room, just raise the heat source and see if you get better temps

MickeysMummy

London, United Kingdom
What are you using to read temps? Be sure not to use those cheap disc type that most pet stores sell. They usually are unreliable. The digital with probe are best and a point and shoot temp gun is a good tool to have on hand and don't cost much. Oh, and if you have room, just raise the heat source and see if you get better temps

I've got 3 digital Hygrometers/Thermometers, 1 in the hot end, 1 in the cool end and 1 in the middle. I also use an infra red thermo gun so the temps are definitely high. Unfortunately I don't have the room to raise the heat bulb anymore... I'm thinking that maybe it's because of the topsoil? Because I used to have a bearded dragon in the same Viv and his temps NEVER got that high, and he had a substrate of ceramic tiles. Maybe I'll have to ditch the soil!

MickeysMummy

London, United Kingdom
I wouldn't ditch the soil yet. Can you put in a smaller watt bulb?

Well I've got a 70w R80 reflector bulb I'm there at the moment, not sure if they do lower? Can definitely look for one though. Do you not think the humidity is far too high though? Latest reading about 2 hours ago was 65% on the hot side, 64% in the middle and 99% on the cool side!