Opinions please

ustwoandthekids

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1419536294.522383.jpg

This is my mums herman just wanted opinions on how it's shell looks as I don't think it looks great think it's very wide and bumpy and it drags its back feet do try to tell her :(

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Can you give us some more pictures, maybe a side view? And pictures of the enclosure? then people can give more knowledgeable opinions and suggestions.

ustwoandthekids

5 Year Member
I can get no more pictures as not at my mums now. Has no enclosure just has run on the house so no uvb or heat. In the summer goes outside but that's it

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Well, sounds good for the summer. But the rest does not sound good at all. Is your mom open to suggestions? It is dangerous for the tortoise to just wander around the house, they can get stepped on or eat something they shouldn't. The need to keep their temperature up in order to digest their food. And they definitely need UVB if not going outside. what is its diet like? Is she interested in keeping us tortoise or would she be willing to find it a new home?

ustwoandthekids

5 Year Member
She does love her tortoise but the breeder gave her bad advice and she believes it's the right way. Me and my sister even thought about buying her a proper set up. Don't think she give calcium and diet is not great pellets and salad. I've tried to tell her also I'm always talking about my tortoises and how important it is to get things right but don't think she will change things :(

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
All you can do is show her the right way. The rest is up to her

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You have a case of metabolic bone disease there. Caused by inappropriate care and poor diet. Sad. Sorry your Mother chose to listen to the wrong person. Sorry for the tortoise.

ustwoandthekids

5 Year Member
I will keep trying to get her to see its the wrong way, I know the damage can't be undone but maybe if I can get her to see that it's not good will stop it getting worse