Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
No, never seen one.
20210123_144101.jpg
See the white spots on the pad?
That is the waste of the mealybugs. They are underneath that feeding on the sap of the cactus. They don't eat the plant. They generally attack at the joints or the scab where there was a splinter on the pad.
If you see one I would treat that plant right away. 1 gallon water 4 cups 70% rubbing alcohol and 10 drops of liquid dish soap. Put in sprayer and spray plant in the evening or cloudy day,not hot sun.
Let sit for about a 1/2hr. Then spray off with water. In a week or earlier if you see white spots treat again.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
You might be on to something. I changed his plastic about 2 months ago. I tried something different how I hung the plastic. Since then the plastic strips have curled long ways a little bit. I was going to rehang the plastic. Just haven't got it done. Maybe the curled edge is bothering him.???????
This thread is making me rethink. 🤗I built Sapphire a new hide box and put it in his enclosure several months ago. He still likes his old one better. I'd almost bet he'll start using the new one minus the plastic door I put on it. He acts interested but won't go in. That's probably why. 😉😊🐢

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
View attachment 353563
See the white spots on the pad?
That is the waste of the mealybugs. They are underneath that feeding on the sap of the cactus. They don't eat the plant. They generally attack at the joints or the scab where there was a splinter on the pad.
If you see one I would treat that plant right away. 1 gallon water 4 cups 70% rubbing alcohol and 10 drops of liquid dish soap. Put in sprayer and spray plant in the evening or cloudy day,not hot sun.
Let sit for about a 1/2hr. Then spray off with water. In a week or earlier if you see white spots treat again.
Thanks for the picture and how to get rid of them. I have seen what's in the pic but not on any of the cactus plants here at the beach. I've been trying to remember what plant, but haven't figured out which one it was.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Well Opo came out Sunday. We were gone all day, but I caught him on a couple of different cameras outside. Plus he did his duty where he usually does in the backyard. We are having fluctuating temperatures and the barometric pressure is like a rollercoaster. So I will let him do his own thing. I won't stress him by pulling him out of his enclosure.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thanks for the picture and how to get rid of them. I have seen what's in the pic but not on any of the cactus plants here at the beach. I've been trying to remember what plant, but haven't figured out which one it was.
If the infected plant is near your cactus. Treat it or the mealybugs will spread.