Optimal temp range

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katherine

5 Year Member
Hey guys I recently took in a pretty janky looking juv redfoot and although I have an outdoor enclosure to quarantine in I don't have a heated tortoise house out there. I have a greenhouse I could use but ground temps are around 55 on our coldest nights and that seems a bit too chilly for me. Since we are approaching our cooler season I am thinking I will just bring him/her inside at night this winter until the weather is suitable for overnights in an unheated house or until I get around to building something. The tortoise has a terrible spine and his/her shell looks rough but no uri issues and in decent overall health and I'm just trying to get a feel for at what point in the day I should be pulling him inside. It's been a while since I owned a redfoot and I am rusty on their temperature ranges so would love to hear from some other owners in what thermo-range you like to keep your redfoots at. Thank you!

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Florida
My adults are given heated hides anytime it goes under 60, and locked in when it goes under 50 til morning when they can bask. For a juvenile, I wouldn't allow them to be outside anytime it goes under 65-60. Even yearlings can amazingly survive in 50 degree weather, but I don't allow it for fear of them catching a cold.

Katherine

5 Year Member
RedfootsRule said:
My adults are given heated hides anytime it goes under 60, and locked in when it goes under 50 til morning when they can bask. For a juvenile, I wouldn't allow them to be outside anytime it goes under 65-60. Even yearlings can amazingly survive in 50 degree weather, but I don't allow it for fear of them catching a cold.

The exact kind of advice I was hoping for, thanks so much!

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
What age range do you consider juvenile in a redfoot? Just curious. I try to keep my enclosure about 72-76 at night and 76-83 during the day with a basking spot of 95-100. She's about 20 months old. Hopefully I'm in the right temp range!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I have four juveniles under 4" SCL. Cool side is 80-82ºF, warm side is 85ºF. Basking locations are 90-94ºF.

Katherine

5 Year Member
Thanks so much guys, really appreciate it. And I actually have no idea how old the tortoise is. Not a hatchling/yearling by any means and definitely not an adult; I was thinking maybe 3 or 4 but it's really anyone's guess. About 8 inches long if that gives a better idea...

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
My tort is just now 4" scl. We're working on the control system and today's temp range is 78-85 with a basking spot of 95. We still need to get a CHE for night use.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
8 inches would be 5 or 6, at least that's how mine grow. Your temps sound good Rosie, maybe a little lower on the basking spot, 90-95 is good.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Thanks! The real question is how long this new enclosure lasts her.. It's 4x6 ft but once she hits 6"+ she'll be outside a lot more.

Figure by then we'll be buying a house and can build a fully enclosed predator proof yard for her.

I'll raise up the basking light an inch or two and see how that affects it. I know it's keeping heat well since the house/room was 65 this morning and where she was sleeping was 77!

Katherine

5 Year Member
RedfootsRule said:
8 inches would be 5 or 6, at least that's how mine grow.

Good to know, thank you! I'm used to the exponential growth of sulcata's so guessed a little younger ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.