Redfoots Groups!

TMartin510

Location (City and/or State)
Fremont, California
Hey Redfoot owners, I was wondering if you house In groups and if so what kind of gender mix would you say works for you? I am gettin a second female redfoot today, and I will let them roam together but for now house them separately until I finish my enclosure outside. Any tips? Thanks!

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
For gender mix you want more females then males to calm down the fighting over females but more importantly is space and food both tortoises need to be able to get away from the other also each toryoise needs to be eating dome tortoises dominate others do look out for that when it comes to food

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yes. Several separate food bowls are needed as are separate wading pools and separate sleeping quarters.
I have seven. But in my group it is 1 male and 4 females. I currently have a sick female and a far too frisky male who is currently looking for a new home.

Attachments

• 20150518_150532.jpg
    20150518_150532.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 40

TMartin510

Fremont, California
Yeah I'm lookin to have 1 male to about 3 or 4 females once I have the area finished and closed up. Right now they are gonna have separate homes, but I'll see how they do when they roam together :)

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
To be honest I still have no idea of my genders and I've had my torts for quite awhile. I feel as if I have a dominant female but I have really no idea. They appear to get along great but for the last 2 yrs my largest tort mounts my other torts. I asked on the forum and members said dominate female. But I think I have all females. Anyways I'm in the works of changing my tortoises homes around. I have one adult separate that is a rescue tortoise and 4 (I think females) live together. I separated the largest one occasionally when she's mounting the other torts.

SouthernRFT

Yes. Several separate food bowls are needed as are separate wading pools and separate sleeping quarters.
I have seven. But in my group it is 1 male and 4 females. I currently have a sick female and a far too frisky male who is currently looking for a new home.

Are you by any chance going to daytona this weekend? I would like a male redfoot.

SouthernRFT

Ok there having the big reptile show this weekend thought I would ask. Not sure if you can send private messages but I would like to know how much you are asking for the male.

smwboxer

Fort Lauderdale, FL
"Looking to Re-Home"? I could be interested. Located in Fort Lauderdale.

TMartin510

Fremont, California
I have a tip.

Quarantine. My tort vet friends recommend 6 months in most cases and 12 months in questionable cases.
Thanks! My other one is way bigger anyways so ima keep them separated for that long as I want the lil one to grow

theresal

5 Year Member
Terrytown,LA
I have a group of red foots. They all live pretty harmoniously together. I have 4 males and 5 females ranging from 9-12" so I have more males than I should but they get along. Each time you add one the dynamics of the group change or pecking order if you will. Last year, I got a foster male that was smaller than any other males I have. He was such a trouble maker that I had to put him in his own pen. He was constantly biting the males and females. And constantly mounting everyone no matter gender. He always ended up on his back and each visit was supervised because of this. After he was in his own pen a while, I put him in with some smaller reds that I have and there are no problems with biting and flipping. Of the smaller ones, one is male and 2 are female so 2 males and 2 females ranging from 7-10". The only thing is every time it rains or I water them he mounts everyone but there is no more biting and flipping. I think it really depends on each red foot if the group will work out. I personally don't think pairs work well with red foots. I prefer groups of 3 or more or just a single tortoise. I agree with an above comment. You should quarantine the new one. Good luck and keep us posted as to what you end up doing!

Turtlepete

South Florida
Can I get your opinion on Gender please? :D

Way, way to young. Post pics again in 3 years.

Group setting/gender mix will depend on individual animals. Pairs can get along together just fine, or you can get a male that harasses all three females he is housed with. You can have twenty together without a single aggressor or get unlucky with one animal that is extremely aggressive. It's down to the individual animal in many scenarios and there is no blanket answer.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Group setting/gender mix will depend on individual animals. Pairs can get along together just fine, or you can get a male that harasses all three females he is housed with. You can have twenty together without a single aggressor or get unlucky with one animal that is extremely aggressive. It's down to the individual animal in many scenarios and there is no blanket answer.
Best answer, you have to evaluate the exact group.