Opuntia cactus

Status
Not open for further replies.

min

5 Year Member
I have bought my baby star a opuntia cactus, what is the best way to prepare it to feed to him?

TortTopper

5 Year Member
Haha yep, Just chop it up, pretty much the simplest way to do it.

min

5 Year Member
What about the prickly bits? Will it not hurt him?

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
You should buy non prickly cactus pads. But if you already buy prickly ones, then remove all the pricks with knife or just simply burn them a bit.

min

5 Year Member
Thanks for all your advice, I didn't realise they had non prickly ones. Ill get searching for them :)

serphinox

5 Year Member
do these cactus give ur tort loose, wet stools? i notice evrytime i fed my tort with cactus, her stools kinda wet. so i only feed her once a week mixed with other stuff. hay mostly

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
serphinox said:
do these cactus give ur tort loose, wet stools? i notice evrytime i fed my tort with cactus, her stools kinda wet. so i only feed her once a week mixed with other stuff. hay mostly

They might give your torts loose stool if fed too much. I give it to my torts everyday as a varied diet and I see no problem with their poop.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
serphinox said:
Yep, they sure do. My tort's love it but they alway's get loose stool after eating cactus.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
serphinox said:

yea it does, but in a way its good to clear out the system a little every once in a while. Personally I never offer it more then one day in a row. it freezes really well and it is easy to break off a chunk when its frozen. for hatchlings and smaller tortoise chop it up.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Wow, I did not know that you can freeze the pads. Thanks for that info. My little Star's only receive the cactus as a treat, in the evening, every few days.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
When I first started feeding spineless opuntia to my sulcata it cause him to have runny stools. Now that he gets it on a regular basis it doesn't seem to have that effect on him. I usually will scrape the spines off with a potato pealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.