orange scales on both sides of face

sulcata1861

Hi,
I got my sulcata about 2 maybe 3 months ago. He's a July 2015 hatchling.. he's very active and loves exploring and hasn't changed except a few days ago I noticed he had orange scales on both sides of his face... he eats romaine, clovers, grass, and tortoise diet pellets that you soak in water... so I don't think it's food on the side of his face... what could it be?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I can't see anything in the pics.

On the bright side, orange scales on the sides of their head is not a symptom of any ailment, I've ever heard of.

sulcata1861

I can't see anything in the pics.

On the bright side, orange scales on the sides of their head is not a symptom of any ailment, I've ever heard of.
Yeah its difficult to see in the photos:( I tried getting closer but it was too blurry and wouldn't focus. I just wasn't sure if it was a sign of to much vitamins or not enough vitamins... just wanted to make sure so I could adjust it before he gets older! Glad to hear that it's not a symptom of anything! Maybe it's just him/her...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
That's a gorgeous baby! And welcome to TFO! I was laughing bcs I have very similar setup for mine and sitting on this same table

sulcata1861

That's a gorgeous baby! And welcome to TFO! I was laughing bcs I have very similar setup for mine and sitting on this same table
Thank you! I love him! He's so fun to watch:) yeah I looked up set ups for awhile then one day up and decided to use that soil with grass from my backyard planted in it! And the table was the best option! It's hard finding the right thing to put the tank on!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What you're seeing is just food or poop (from eating it) dirt. If you were to gently scrub it with a soft bristle tooth brush, it would come off.

sulcata1861

I tried brushing it off.. all that comes off is the green around his mouth not the orange on his cheeks..

sulcata1861

What you're seeing is just food or poop (from eating it) dirt. If you were to gently scrub it with a soft bristle tooth brush, it would come off.
The green has come off around his mouth. I scrubbed him during his soak yesterday but the orange didnt.

2015-12-26 14.05.11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I stand by my first answer - some sort of stain.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Food , substrate all kinds of stuff .

sulcata1861

K just wondering cuz nothing I have near him is orange.... but glad to hear it's no wrong doing on my end!! Love this little guy would hate to think I'm harming him.. I follow all of Tom's guidelines tho so he should be good!