Orchid bark vs coco coir

Tort1419

I heard that orchid bark is bad and can grow mold so I'm not sure about getting it. What about coco coir the only thing I heard is that it is too messy for adults. Is it going to kill the tortoise if he ingests it. I want to know of any problems associated with either of these please. I've narrowed it down to orchid bark or coco coir. I have already talked to Tom and he likes orchid bark, but there are so many kinds, also coco coir the only thing he didn't like about it is that he said it was to messy for adults. Tom I don't know how to tag you but if you see this can you come explain this.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Orchid bark does not grow mold. I've been using it for 30 years and never once has it molded. If there is leftover food or poop, mold or fungus can grow on that just like any other substrate, but it doesn't grow on the orchid bark.

Neither O bark nor coir will hurt the tortoise if small amounts are accidentally ingested.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I like and use both along with spaghnum moss for hatchlings. Yes the coco coir can be a little messy. It gets in the water and on them. But it holds humidity really well. I place the moss in the humid hides and around the dishes to prevent the coir from getting in.

I like the orchid bark for adults. Not so much for hatchlings.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know what I'm doing differently than other people, but every tortoise I've ever had tries to eat sphagnum moss. I can't use it.

Tort1419

When I put half a gallon of water in the substrate, how often do I need to do this and won't the substrate get very wet

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When I put half a gallon of water in the substrate, how often do I need to do this and won't the substrate get very wet

The o bark will absorb the water like a million little sponges. Over time it will evaporate out little by little and increase the humidity in the enclosure.

The half gallon was a suggestion. Every enclosure is different. You might need more or less depending upon how much substrate you use and how big the enclosure is. How much water you need to replace on a regular basis will depend on how fast it evaporates out of your enclosure in your house. Its different for everybody.

You want the substrate damp, not wet.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California

Only put as much as you need for your enclosure, to achieve the humidity that you want. I only pour water once every couple weeks.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I don't know what I'm doing differently than other people, but every tortoise I've ever had tries to eat sphagnum moss. I can't use it.

Some of mine will sample anything new. Moss and coco coir included. But only very small quantities. They quickly get over it.

Tort1419

If I want to put a top on the enclosure what should it be made of, I want this top to keep the humidity in.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have used plexiglass in the past with a simple hinge made of Duct tape. I propped it open at various levels until I found what worked for me.
I made a vent over the light fixture to keep the fixture cool because the light had to be located INSIDE.
It was an 18" "5.0" Reptiglow.

Attachments

• 20141016_154449.jpg
    20141016_154449.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 53
  • 20140923_185227.jpg
    20140923_185227.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 53

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I mixed the two for my baby desert tortoise closed chamber. It is for over 9 months now. No mold. I soak him and always put him back after feeding time.

Tort1419

Hey @Tom what do you think about my substrate for an adult Russian tortoise being white coco fiber. Anything wrong with that? It's really hard for my to decide weather or not I want orchid bark or white coco fiber. But I think I'm going to go with that. Also instead of using pots to grow my plants in can I use styrofoam cups. The Barry those deep in the enclosure so he can just see the plant and eat it?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have never heard of white Coco fiber but that doesn't mean anything. I would not use the Styrofoam, he might eat it. Just put it in pots. Or use those pots that you use when planting things, the ones that sort of decompose.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have never heard of white Coco fiber but that doesn't mean anything. I would not use the Styrofoam, he might eat it. Just put it in pots. Or use those pots that you use when planting things, the ones that sort of decompose.

I agree with all of the above.

Tort1419

Ok what about using regular clay or stone or plastic something he can't eat flower pots @Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok what about using regular clay or stone or plastic something he can't eat flower pots @Tom

That sounds great. I use a lot of terra cotta stuff, but for potting plants in this application glazed ceramic or plastic should work just fine. Tortoises can be very hard on their cage "furniture". You need tough stuff that can hold up to their abuse.

Tort1419

Ok thanks @Tom but does it really matter if it is styrofoam, becuase I'm going to Barry the whole pot and only the plant will be showing