Ordinary Blackboard Chalk?

ditzyangeluk

Location (City and/or State)
Sudbury, Suffolk, UK
I have cuttlefish bone stuff in my enclosures, but my two Hermanns never really touch it. A friend has sticks of ordinary blackboard chalk tossed in and her torts happily munch on this .. Is it ok to give them, is there actually any calcium in this kind of chalk and will it be good for them or not? They seem to enjoy it better

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Chalk isn't designed to be eaten and as such the maker does not need to be all that careful about what goes into it or how it is handled.

Would you feed it to your children? I wouldn't. You should advise your friend against that practice.

Last edited:

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
My Hermann's won't KNOWINGLY eat cuttlebone, so I hold it over her damp greens and scrape the cuttlebone with a knife. That makes a fine white cuttlebone powder that sticks to her food, so she gets her cuttlebone without knowing it! :p

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I have a cuttlebone, but my russian is so bad about eating it, I gave up and just powder his food... Not too much, though, because they won't eat if they smell/taste/see the stuff! Tricky little guys :D

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I have a cuttlebone, but my russian is so bad about eating it, I gave up and just powder his food... Not too much, though, because they won't eat if they smell/taste/see the stuff! Tricky little guys :D
jeeze! Nank is so food oriented it could be completely coated and he'd eat it anyways... but only greens, cuttlebone itself is like an abomination to him!