Ornamental Turtle won't eat :(

shelloise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manitoba Canada
My turtle has always loved crickets and is aggressive in running and catching them. Today I gave her crickets and she shows absolutely no interest. I noticed her eyes are puffy. Any idea what is going on with her???

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Please give s run down or set up, basking temps and type of bulb, anything that has to do with its care.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
With that species, puffy eyes are usually a vit. A deficiency. For now soak in water with liquid vitamins.

M

Maggie Cummings

We can't give advice until we know more about your husbandry....

shelloise

5 Year Member
Manitoba Canada
I've had her for over a year, and never had an issue. The person before me had the same setup for 5 years. I'll try the Vitamin A . Thanks. Is the Vit. A a liquid and how much should I add to her water?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
We'd need to know about her habitat & how she is being kept. Are crickets her only food? Have you soaked her?

shelloise

5 Year Member
Manitoba Canada
She's had the same habitat for 6 yrs, heat lamp and uv lights. She eats crickets and some veg, lettuce and fruit but her main diet is calcium dusted crickets

shelloise

5 Year Member
Manitoba Canada
So two people had asked about her set up, diet etc. to be able to give advice...I had replied yesterday.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
What kind of UV bulb? The coil kind can cause I issues. And when was it last changed? If she is kept indoors all year than it should be replaced every six months or so. or up to a year if it is a mercury vapor bulb. She may need more foods with vitamin A. Does she eat other insects to like worms?

shelloise

5 Year Member
Manitoba Canada
I took her to the vet, she has a V A deficiency most like and a skin infection on her head so is on injectable antibiotics and vitamins

shelloise

5 Year Member
Manitoba Canada
What kind of UV bulb? The coil kind can cause I issues. And when was it last changed? If she is kept indoors all year than it should be replaced every six months or so. or up to a year if it is a mercury vapor bulb. She may need more foods with vitamin A. Does she eat other insects to like worms?
Hi,
Good luck.
Good luck. Do you have a trusted vet?

Thanks! yes, my vet is really knowledgable, I've gone to him for about 15 years. There's very few vets where I live that treat turtles so I am lucky and have a lot of confidence in him