Ornate box behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
Hi,
I ended up acquiring another ornate. I have had mine for close to 10 yrs and she has always been with a large RF. (Please, already been through the mixed species thing here, yrs ago) This one belonged to a family for the last 5 yrs and they did the best they could. Had no other torts, actually vetted it, although the vet did not really advise care, but anyway they need a new home and I said sure. Well I put him in with my guys and he/she was just kinda motoring around. Well Louise came out and within 2 minutes this is what happened.

219a1jt.jpg

I never saw torts mate, although Jack (my RF and Petey, my other RF, seemed to try over the years, But all I have ever seen is him on top and making a ton of noises.) I never thought about them 'tieing' up. I hate to ask, but do they? These guys were locked together for maybe 10 (LONG) minutes.Now, is this what they look like, him upside down like that? I always picture those big Aldabra pictures of them standing over the female? I had to stand watch, because the movement really got Jack wondering and I was worried he might come over and do something. Well they separated and then Louise went after the new guy. Like viciously. She was chasing him,

scup6q.jpg

(Now we know for sure he is a he, oh no no question about that!!!) and trying to bite him, a few times she connected with the shell. Is this at all normal?? I have them separated now, but not sure if she will hurt him? Man it was evil... why did she allow him to mount her??
I know I will hear about the quarantine, but what difference would it make, as the new one has been alone for 5 yrs and never with another tort?
Not sure what to do now,,jee and I thought one more little ornate would round things out nicely!
Thoughts?
Thanks Nay.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
the males often get dragged around by the female.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Just last night as I put the food dish down in my Eastern pen, one of the females came charging out of the bushes with the male attached to her. It was funny! He stayed there for a few minutes then decided food was preferable to sex, so he let go and had his dinner.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
So this happens with the big guys too? Can't imagine seeing some of Greg's big Aldabras dragging each other around!!
Now my 2 are snuggled up sleeping together!!

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
Be sure to watch the aggressive nature of your male, mine is way too aggressive & the girls end up with abrasions from his nails (they aren't long!), and red swollen femoral cavities... needless to say christopher is not allowed with the girls anymore. Also, if you do separate them while he is breeding her, be VERY careful, you can hurt them both by doing this.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The bigger guys don't do that, they beat their females into submission, the boxes are the only ones I know who do that, they hook their nails in and enjoy the ride.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, this is purely a box turtle trick. The male puts his toes on top of the inside of the female's plastron and she clamps shut, catching his toes in the process. He's at her mercy until she releases her hold on him.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Yvonne, that's exactly what she did to him!
I had stepped away for a minute to get my camera to catch any reaction from Louise.When I came back I saw them close together and thought she had maybe rammed him and flipped him over, I gently tried to turn him over and saw he was attached, at first I thought my the feet!! (then I understood!!)
But as far as aggression , it's Louise!!!! She was chasing him all over the pen, snapping and biting, he would tuck what ever side she was coming after and try to get away! I separated them for a little while, but when I put them back, they ended up in the same sleep area.

no8p6q.jpg

I will do his beak today and snap a better pic of him, he is really colorful!
Thanks for all the info.
Nay

Status
Not open for further replies.