Ornate Box Turtle Breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

girlflan

5 Year Member
I have 3 ornate box turtles, 2 males (one about 5-6 in. adult, one 3-4 in. 1 years old) and a female a bit smaller than the younger male, i bought them as a breeding pair. I am turt and tort obsessed like so many of you, and would love to bring some of these amazing little creatures into the world and gain some experience.
That being said if anyone has any information or experience stories to share, id love to hear it so i can maybe help "motivate" my boxies a little more. I know its late in the season, but the most thats happened (that ive seen) is the young male trailing the female and trying and failing to do the deed.

girlflan

5 Year Member
Thats what i figured but then again, he is small and tries quite a bit. But i suppose thats instinct.

turtleluv88

5 Year Member
With my experience the males when they are sexually mature will try to mate with any female in site, where or not the female is ready. Mine also seem to be interested in mating year around (for the males that is, the females are never interested) I know that is your having problems enticing them to mate you can change their enclosure conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.