Other options for grasses

pangoliinz

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
We just got a Hermann’s tortoise about a week ago. Female. Roughly 2 years old (shell is about 5”).

We live in Wisconsin so majority of our time is cold and grass currently isn’t an option. We had gone to a pet store to pick up pressed grass cubes we have to rehydrate from the brand Arcadia. So every morning I rehydrate a cube as I’m cleaning and such, but our tortoise refuses to touch it.

I also include a few misted pellets of Mauro (not LS), a little leafy greens, but most of what’s on the feed plate is this grass (I also just got some dried flowers too).

But is there another option for grasses and weeds where I am until it gets warm out and she can peruse our yard but we can also start collecting our cut grass and such to store for next year?

I am in the process of growing dandelions and ‘tortoise grass’ in small containers, marigolds and zinnias as well, but obviously those won’t be ready for a hot minute here. I had heard that cat grass from the pet store is what tortoise grass is so I was going to go get some of that too.

There is also a Boston fern in the enclosure she’ll snack on and I’m in the process of trying to get more natural plants into the coconut fiber to help keep humidity up and provide the enrichment of natural too!

But yeah…where else or what else can I do about the grasses??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can plant grass seed right into the coconut coir. You can also add dandelions that's some grocery stores sell. Also greens like ridicchio, arugula, escarole, endive, water cress, until there is more natural things to feed.
Btw, at two, she is too young to sex.
Feed enough food that she can graze off and on throughout the day.
Mix/smear the soaked pellets onto the greens.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We just got a Hermann’s tortoise about a week ago. Female. Roughly 2 years old (shell is about 5”).

We live in Wisconsin so majority of our time is cold and grass currently isn’t an option. We had gone to a pet store to pick up pressed grass cubes we have to rehydrate from the brand Arcadia. So every morning I rehydrate a cube as I’m cleaning and such, but our tortoise refuses to touch it.

I also include a few misted pellets of Mauro (not LS), a little leafy greens, but most of what’s on the feed plate is this grass (I also just got some dried flowers too).

But is there another option for grasses and weeds where I am until it gets warm out and she can peruse our yard but we can also start collecting our cut grass and such to store for next year?

I am in the process of growing dandelions and ‘tortoise grass’ in small containers, marigolds and zinnias as well, but obviously those won’t be ready for a hot minute here. I had heard that cat grass from the pet store is what tortoise grass is so I was going to go get some of that too.

There is also a Boston fern in the enclosure she’ll snack on and I’m in the process of trying to get more natural plants into the coconut fiber to help keep humidity up and provide the enrichment of natural too!

But yeah…where else or what else can I do about the grasses??
Hello and welcome.

Hermanni are not a grass eating species. You need broadleaf weeds.

You can use finely chopped and re-hydrated grass to try to add fiber to grocery store greens, but you have to start with tiny tiny amounts at first.

If you've been watching YT or talking to the pet store people, you almost certainly have gotten all sorts of bad care info. Start here and look for the temperate species care sheet near the bottom: