Our baby Hugo the Herman Tortoise biting his own feet

Chapman2022

Location (City and/or State)
Thirsk
Hello,
I bought my daughter a Herman tortoise for her birthday, we have had him (or could be a her we do not know yet) a four days now but when we had him out of his enclosure today we noticed he was biting at his own feet. Is this normal and does anyone know why he is doing it? We put him back into his enclosure wondering if he is maybe stressed?

Also he doesn't eat much of his food we have been giving him leafy greens but is there anything else anyone can recommend we try for him?

He is called Hugo and i have attached a picture to introduce him.

Thanks in advance :)

image0.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can we get pics of the enclosure, substrate, lighting, heat sources and what the temps and humidity are.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello,
I bought my daughter a Herman tortoise for her birthday, we have had him (or could be a her we do not know yet) a four days now but when we had him out of his enclosure today we noticed he was biting at his own feet. Is this normal and does anyone know why he is doing it? We put him back into his enclosure wondering if he is maybe stressed?

Also he doesn't eat much of his food we have been giving him leafy greens but is there anything else anyone can recommend we try for him?

He is called Hugo and i have attached a picture to introduce him.

Thanks in advance :)

View attachment 340340
Here is all the correct care info. Pet shops and online sources are infamous for bad info and the wrong products. After reading this and seeing what you've done differently, lets talk more about what to do: