Our hinges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
How many days a year do you guess they may be outside in total? I know a lot of folks think placing them outside, especially the in and out type of situation does more bad then good. You seem to have not fould it so, correct? They all go out? Have you saw any changes in behavior during that period?

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Mick Thank you very much for the detailed info-I am going to take notes for myself.
Any idea why this years eggs hatched out and other years they didn't?
Just wondered if you had done anything differently or it was just the same as usual.

I am aware that many hinge eggs don't succeed in growing and hatching etc from what I have read so far. Your babies are so adorable, congratulations on your success and I hope you continue to get more hatching for you. Fingers crossed for egg number 6 now.

It is greatly appreciated that you are sharing your hinge care tips here as it can be a lot of trial and error when so little is written.

Thanks again!

Mick.Ire

5 Year Member
Delighted to share the info and thrilled we are this fortunate to be able to.
We incubated at lower temps this time, 27.5, got a new incubator that holds humidity better and got the eggs relatively quick into the incubator. Also the female that laid is a great tortoise, did everything right and gently. A lot of eggs get damaged by the females claws as she is laying.

No we never have problems putting them in and out often. The male will mate inside or out and they all feed well out or in.
We can have good years when they could be out up to 80-90days and other years maybe only half that.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Yes lots of factors need to be just right-such a shame if the females damage the eggs themselves, its no wonder these creatures are in such low numbers.Whether they be in the wild or in captivity they have a hard time surviving the odds.
I'm so happy everything fell into place this year for you.
So the incubation remained constant throughout?
I read about some folks doing a dual temp incubation too but it would be hard to know how long and at what temps because the incubation can vary so greatly-hard to know what to do when. Great if you had this success with a constant temp so we can duplicate that more easily too.
Thanks again

Mick.Ire

5 Year Member
Yeah it was constant 27.5 and 85% humidity. Tool 148 days for the first to hatch. Next time we will probably incubate slightly higher, maybe 28.5.
It was a great process being able to watch them develop. Very rewarding.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
*with the sounds of hingebacks breeding in the background* Does your male breed off and on all the time or do you have set breeding times he seems to use?

Mick.Ire

5 Year Member
We've seen him mating all year around but its mostly August/September. Very little activty in winter from him..
Yeah the noises he makes are hilarious alright. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.