Our Sheldon

Sa Ga

Location (City and/or State)
MN
Thank you EllieMay! Have you gotten pickles and crusher to eat grass hay yet? For Sheldon it’s a hard no lol... I even put it with his mazuri which he loves and he picked around it.
Do u soften the Mazuri into a softer dollop? (I have to with Morla.) Soften the pellets and chop it up really small, like the length of grains of rice or so. He can't pick it out and then will get the taste of the grass. Put less and less Mazuri and more and more grass (slowly). In time, u may be able to get him then to eat it on his own.

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Grants Pass Oregon
Do u soften the Mazuri into a softer dollop? (I have to with Morla.) Soften the pellets and chop it up really small, like the length of grains of rice or so. He can't pick it out and then will get the taste of the grass. Put less and less Mazuri and more and more grass (slowly). In time, u may be able to get him then to eat it on his own.
I do make his mazuri like that ? and chop the hay really small and soak it before adding it to the mazuri. He is such a toddler he will turn his nose up at it if he gets a couple bite of hay in. ? that’s the only time my little piggy walks away from mazuri lol... since they are such creatures of habit I just have to keep trying. The good thing is he does readily eat weeds and grass so at least half the battle is won ❤️?

Sa Ga

MN
I do make his mazuri like that ? and chop the hay really small and soak it before adding it to the mazuri. He is such a toddler he will turn his nose up at it if he gets a couple bite of hay in. ? that’s the only time my little piggy walks away from mazuri lol... since they are such creatures of habit I just have to keep trying. The good thing is he does readily eat weeds and grass so at least half the battle is won ❤️?
Try adding some baby food to the mix...

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Grants Pass Oregon
When you realize how much your tort has grown ? looked in on him as he was walking through his hide and this I what I saw ED863D13-EB20-457D-AEAA-98E9283EB631.jpeg

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Grants Pass Oregon
Super happy to report finally got Sheldon to start eating grass hay. Been putting on his favorite radicchio now he will eat it instead picking around it or walking away. He has started to readily to eat the grass and variety of weeds I collect for him. ?❤️

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Grants Pass Oregon
Sheldon looks great. You will be awe by how much he will grow this spring and summer!!!!
thank you so much @Lancecham ? This month has been the fastest weight gain so far he is 4oz away from 9lbs he has stepped up his eating to include a lot more weeds and grass finally ate grass hay willingly haha. Glad we are working on his outside shed/night box and new yard as he has just about outgrown his indoor enclosure. Again I have to thank you for such an amazing Tortoise ? and support you have given us ? and a shout out to @Tom for his help and guidance on this incredible journey

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
@Peggy Sue ...he is adorable...but it seems to me that he is big enough to put out on the grass daily and let him graze...I don't feed mine at all Spring and Summer...granted they are bigger than Sheldon, but I feel if they want to eat...grazing it's how it's done...even for Sheldon...this Spring and Summer, don't feed him and see if he will graze...

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Grants Pass Oregon
@Peggy Sue ...he is adorable...but it seems to me that he is big enough to put out on the grass daily and let him graze...I don't feed mine at all Spring and Summer...granted they are bigger than Sheldon, but I feel if they want to eat...grazing it's how it's done...even for Sheldon...this Spring and Summer, don't feed him and see if he will graze...
thank you @Maggie, I will give him less. He does graze when we put him in his outside enclosure. He goes out when it’s warmer and spends most of the day out there. At what temp is it ok to put him out in the morning? I have been waiting until it’s 65-70 before he goes out. I appreciate your help ??

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
thank you @Maggie, I will give him less. He does graze when we put him in his outside enclosure. He goes out when it’s warmer and spends most of the day out there. At what temp is it ok to put him out in the morning? I have been waiting until it’s 65-70 before he goes out. I appreciate your help ??

The ground is still pretty cold...my tortoises are bigger tho and they've been staying out all day for about 2 weeks...
if Sheldon was mine, I'd be for finding the warmest place in my yard, where you can feel the sun's warmth on you...and putting his habitat there for a couple of hours...
and frankly I don't understand why you've asked for advice when it looks obvious that Sheldon is a perfect picture of Sulcata...good job!

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Grants Pass Oregon
The ground is still pretty cold...my tortoises are bigger tho and they've been staying out all day for about 2 weeks...
if Sheldon was mine, I'd be for finding the warmest place in my yard, where you can feel the sun's warmth on you...and putting his habitat there for a couple of hours...
and frankly I don't understand why you've asked for advice when it looks obvious that Sheldon is a perfect picture of Sulcata...good job!
Aww thank you @Maggie! I love to learn and want to take the best care of Sheldon that I possibly can so I try to gain as much knowledge as I can from everyone on this amazing forum ? ?

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Grants Pass Oregon
Well it’s official Sheldon has reached double digits! 10 pounds now ? weather has turned and he is able to spend more time outside soaking up the sun and grazing on the weeds in his enclosure. Still working on his new enclosures. ?❤️B5ED4120-0743-4FA4-A3A8-0378B96069D3.jpeg762BE6EE-9D2B-43B9-9DE6-92EEBCB730D0.jpeg