Outdoor box turtle enclosure.

Morcomshane

Location (City and/or State)
USA
Ok so currently I have an 8 by 4 outdoor enclosure . I have one 3 toed box turtle in it.
I'm hoping to get ideas as i have searched through these threads for countless hours and I would like some input if anyone got some time.

I'd like to make it bigger.
By quite a bit actually, with a small pond and such...my question is a roof for this thing...we've got raccoons and all living here in Pa ..how the heck could I make a roof for something like this..not sure I could do electric fence
I guess if it's a last resort.
Any advice would be great. I have been looking for cheaper alternatives to wood for something so big will be quite a bit so any alternatives you guys have is greatly welcomed.
20180811_210407.jpg

NickA

Mid Atlantic
For my next enclosure I planned on building a frame with 2x4s and sturdy wire stapled to the top and put hinges on one side so you can lift it up then you could easily put a latch or lock of some type on it. So that way rain sunlight and bugs could get in but no predators

Morcomshane

USA
Not a bad idea.
My current one has a screened top. Works pretty good. Just wondering for the size of what I want to build...maybe some type of fruit cage or something. Probably cost a small fortune.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
This is how lush the plants got over time. Boxies love a lot of plants to hide under.

fullpen2018_zpsrg2rhc8t.jpg

Morcomshane

USA
This is my current. It works. I do have a screened lid and all, I just want it bigger. Its like never enough ya know ?
I would like to build it up and have it look nice cause its gonna be part of our landscape.
It's like the itch I cant scratch...constantly want to build bigger 20180806_184526.jpg

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
When you're looking at the cost, consider whether it would be just as cost effective to make a full size (full height) structure similar to a greenhouse, but with the sides of hardware cloth and a door you can lock. Then you could put some taller plants or vines inside the enclosure. You might also be able to winterize the structure to hold the heat in better and perhaps get more mileage out of the outdoor enclosure during the cooler months.

Morcomshane

USA
If I had the funds to really go all out I would make a fully enclosed place just like you're saying. I may have to just see how well that would work out financially.
It really isnt needed this year. I just cant seem to think about much else.
Are you guys like that too?

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
If I had the funds to really go all out I would make a fully enclosed place just like you're saying. I may have to just see how well that would work out financially.
It really isnt needed this year. I just cant seem to think about much else.
Are you guys like that too?
Yes, I'm like that too. We are working on a design (or two, or ten) for an outdoor turtle enclosure. Beyond dealing with weather in the Florida panhandle, I am in a "wildlife-urban interface," which basically means I have to deal with all the hazards of being near frequently traveled two-lane roads, in addition to all the hazards of being in the woods. I'm not sure where to classify a handful of crazy neighbors... :)

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
with a large enough area , and natural cover , I've not seen raccoons be a problem for the adult box turtles ……. they do dig in every night …….. I do have dogs , which makes it a bit risky for animals to get to the pens , the dogs can be an issue , but I got fences around all the pens …….. I also have an enclosed pen for hatchling or small turtles ………

DSCF4414.jpg

DSCF4432.jpg

Morcomshane

USA
Yes, I'm like that too. We are working on a design (or two, or ten) for an outdoor turtle enclosure. Beyond dealing with weather in the Florida panhandle, I am in a "wildlife-urban interface," which basically means I have to deal with all the hazards of being near frequently traveled two-lane roads, in addition to all the hazards of being in the woods. I'm not sure where to classify a handful of crazy neighbors... :)

That's pretty cool though, sounds exciting.

Morcomshane

USA
with a large enough area , and natural cover , I've not seen raccoons be a problem for the adult box turtles ……. they do dig in every night …….. I do have dogs , which makes it a bit risky for animals to get to the pens , the dogs can be an issue , but I got fences around all the pens …….. I also have an enclosed pen for hatchling or small turtles ………

That's awesome. That's pretty good inspiration. I like the roof on there. I'm not sure where you live but do you deal with the snow and brumating ?

DSCF4414.jpg

DSCF4432.jpg

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Colleen have you lost any during the winters?

Not during the winter, but my 3-legged Gulf coast died after she came out of hibernation. the vet had seen her before she passed and said she was not a good candidate for hibernation. but my 3 three toeds did fine both years.

AJK Aquaria

An electric wire for an enclosure that size would be under $100. Problems solved.

Morcomshane

USA
An electric wire for an enclosure that size would be under $100. Problems solved.

I was hoping you'd chime in...I've seen your threads here and the YouTube videos...I especially like the north American wood turtle video...anyways..
I'm not against electric fence, I like how it's set up on yours. I suppose it's worth checking into it more.