Outdoor box turtle enclosure.

Morcomshane

Location (City and/or State)
USA
If you want links to any of the stuff I've used let me know.
If you want links to any of the stuff I've used let me know.

I think I'm just gong to build with the 2x6s and do the electric fence.
I was looking for cost affective ways but ultimately, if I'm going to spend the money and take the time, I should just do it right. I want to be able to plant bigger things in there without worrying about a top crushing them
I appreciate the input and I'll definitely keep posting the progress, and I'm sure I'll be asking advice
Thanks again.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Ok so currently I have an 8 by 4 outdoor enclosure . I have one 3 toed box turtle in it.
I'm hoping to get ideas as i have searched through these threads for countless hours and I would like some input if anyone got some time.

I'd like to make it bigger.
By quite a bit actually, with a small pond and such...my question is a roof for this thing...we've got raccoons and all living here in Pa ..how the heck could I make a roof for something like this..not sure I could do electric fence
I guess if it's a last resort.
Any advice would be great. I have been looking for cheaper alternatives to wood for something so big will be quite a bit so any alternatives you guys have is greatly welcomed.
View attachment 247990
I like a lid done with a wood frame and hardware cloth. Even heavy gage rabbit wire with small spacing. Attached with heavy hinges and a keyed lock. Make the sunning area easy.

Morcomshane

USA
I like a lid done with a wood frame and hardware cloth. Even heavy gage rabbit wire with small spacing. Attached with heavy hinges and a keyed lock. Make the sunning area easy.
Right now that is what I have, without the lock and key

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Right now that is what I have, without the lock and key
Sounds fun. I do a lock and key to keep out curious children. But if I'm present the children can visit. I don't walk too much in their enclosure. It's short enough that I can put my foot in yet tall enough that I won't find them hanging by a tortoise toenail.And it has favored weeds growing on top of a red brick deck. Red brick doesn't get too hot in the sun.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Sounds fun. I do a lock and key to keep out curious children. But if I'm present the children can visit. I don't walk too much in their enclosure. It's short enough that I can put my foot in yet tall enough that I won't find them hanging by a tortoise toenail.And it has favored weeds growing on top of a red brick deck. Red brick doesn't get too hot in the sun.
Sorry I just saw your like and reply tonight. Hopefully I gave you something encouraging for now. But one piece of advice...never do cutsie for a tortoise. Lol my tortoise hates cute stuff.