Outdoor DT Enclosure (Pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

way2gfy

5 Year Member
Well I started all my thoughts and planning last September for my Desert Tortoise enclosure and I am pretty much done now. It was really hard to dig all the dirt out because that crud is so hard and has so many rocks in it. I soaked it like crazy to help soften it some but I am very close friends with my heating pad now because of it all, LOL. But it was all worth it! I didn't take too many pictures during the digging process but have plenty now pics.

Here is the the beginning of the digging.
2009023.jpg

We had some technical issues with those pipes we found so we cut those back to get them out of the way. Maybe they were put there for a pool?
2009054.jpg

Here is what I have now. Squirt is in there checking it out.
P5060074.jpg

P5060114.jpg

I planted some 'Grazing Tortoise Seed Mix' from Carolina Pet Supply on Sunday (May 2nd) and it's sprouting already. I also put a patch of sod in for some variety.
P5060078.jpg

P5060075.jpg

The concrete slab is under the brick in this picture. I am using the bowl from a bird bath as his water dish. I was thinking of moving the water dish out some and putting river stones around it?? Squirt is reaching for the Hibiscus leaves.
P5060104.jpg

Now here is some random pics of Squirt and the enclosure.
P5060079.jpg

P5060080.jpg

P5060081.jpg

to be continued......

P5060082.jpg

P5060083.jpg

P5060092.jpg

P5060100.jpg

P5060103.jpg

P5060106.jpg

P5060107.jpg

P5060111.jpg

Here is his little light at night, LOL.
P5060117.jpg

I still need to add more dirt on top of the buckets and make some kind of top to cover the grass area. I have play sand mixed in with the dirt so it won't get compacted so much this time. The blocks in the corners are so he doesn't try to squeeze between the panels and the fence posts. The fence part of the pen is 7.5' x 7.5' x 4'. I will probably do one more layer of bricks along the outside too.

Please let me know what you think or any suggestions you may have.

Thanks.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Very nice! Great job and he has a fabulous home! Looks like he's enjoying the food.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Great job! Nice secure cage.

Your little guy looks very happy.

The greenhouses here in AZ sell Dichondra. They say that most of it goes to Tortoise owners. 18" flat is @ $20. It's a great ground cover.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a beautiful enclosure! I especially LOVE the picture where the tortoise is reaching up to take a bite of the hibiscus. You really went the extra mile to keep him safe. I'm seeing smaller chicken wire surrounding the chain link and then panels to keep him from seeing out plus a cover over the top. It might be a bit of over-kill, however, its VERY safe and should work out to be a wonderful home for him.

On the seeds from Carolina Pet Supply...I've never had a problem with seeds or any products from this company. The seeds are SO fresh and they sprout almost as soon as you put them in the ground. Great product.

way2gfy

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
That's a beautiful enclosure! I especially LOVE the picture where the tortoise is reaching up to take a bite of the hibiscus. You really went the extra mile to keep him safe. I'm seeing smaller chicken wire surrounding the chain link and then panels to keep him from seeing out plus a cover over the top. It might be a bit of over-kill, however, its VERY safe and should work out to be a wonderful home for him.

On the seeds from Carolina Pet Supply...I've never had a problem with seeds or any products from this company. The seeds are SO fresh and they sprout almost as soon as you put them in the ground. Great product.

I did the bricks on the outside to keep my Chihuahuas away from the edge of the fence and the panels on the inside so Squirt can't see out and try to squeeze through the fence openings. The wire on the top is to keep the birds out (drives my dogs crazy) and the wire to cover the grass area is to keep birds away from my seeds. The wire covering the door area is to keep the neighborhood cats OUT! There is still a gap at the bottom of the doorway for Squirt to cruise under. I really want him to be safe and secure because of his life before I aquired him. Sad story. Last year, I was helping my mom clean out this house and I found him in the closet in a box. I didn't hibernate him this season just because I wanted to keep an eye on him. He is doing GREAT!

I am really pleased with the seeds I got with how fast they have sprouted. I ordered them last year before Xmas and they were just sitting on the shelf in my house waiting for planting day.

Thanks for liking.

terryo said:
That's a great enclosure. I didn't realize he was so small until I saw your hand in there.

Yeah he is a tiny little guy. I have no idea how old he is though because he was a deprived little one prior to me aquiring him. But he is living the life now, LOL!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
What a fantastic enclosure!!! Lucky little tort :) He's adorable!

I'll have to order that seed mix from Carolina Pet Supply! It sounds great :D

chadk

10 Year Member!
Squirt ROCKS! *I want*

Great job on the enclosure!!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Thanks for posting these pix. It gives me a very doable idea for my torts. Did I see a merigold in there ? Are they okay for tortoises to eat?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I love his tunnel! It really shows how much thought (and hard labor) you put into this great and so very secure enclosure. Enjoyed some of the pictures, especially the stretching picture with his hibiscus.

way2gfy

5 Year Member
Angi said:
Thanks for posting these pix. It gives me a very doable idea for my torts. Did I see a merigold in there ? Are they okay for tortoises to eat?

Oh gee I'm a little late with this response.... I checked the safe food list and Marigold's were on there. those and Hibiscus are his favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.