Outdoor Enclosure for Redfoot

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, CA
The door leads into your home? Do you have a room dedicated to your tortoises?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Looks like great space, start planting with tall, medium, short perennials and ground covers. I did all of my planting last spring, and by now some of the plants have really taken off. Think: FOOD PLANTS! Hibiscus, disease resistant roses, grapes, chikory, dandelions... clover maybe...plant stuff native to your area that is pest and disease resistant so you never get temptation to spray. This tort garden should be your 100% organic. Mine is similar in size and enclosing material. I started filling in the cinders with soil and compost and planting trailing herbs and succulents in those hollow spaces. This year I will also be working on creating some hills and couple of underground dens and maybe this or if not, then by the Winter for sure will have the heated night box built with oil filled heater on good thermostat, and ample insulation. I'll have to landscape the place first with few hills (mine love to climb!) and the night box will also be placed on top of a hill in case of torrential rain overnight or when i'm not there. I just worry about things getting flooded. Did you do all the cinders by yourself??? Those things are HEAVVVYYYY!!!!!

Jennifer M

5 Year Member
South Georgia
Yes, I have planted some spineless cactus already and waiting on the mixed seed packet from Tortoise Supply to plant. I have so many ideas and it's a work in progress. My husband and a friend of his loaded and unloaded the cinder blocks but I moved and arranged them by myself.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Yes, I have planted some spineless cactus already and waiting on the mixed seed packet from Tortoise Supply to plant. I have so many ideas and it's a work in progress. My husband and a friend of his loaded and unloaded the cinder blocks but I moved and arranged them by myself.
Lucky you! I had gone to Home Depot and Lowes looking for those and started "loading" on the platform cart.... yeah! Didn't go any further than that..... that was just not gonna work loading, unloading, carrying them up little hill to the backyards... all about 100 of them.... luckily I was able to find little smaller ones, which are not ideal bcs I did want those nice big hollow spaces for planting... but those ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1489436623.519794.jpg are the kind I have used to enclose my tortoise garden. It's not quite this same, mine looks a bit more "finished"

Last edited:

Jennifer M

5 Year Member
South Georgia
Updated picture
Plants are growing. They were growing very well until our lawn man decided to weed eat in there :mad:
Anyway its still a work in progress. Still need to add pool. I think they will definitely enjoy it when the time comes.

1500126768743.jpg