outdoor enclosure help for a newbie

Zoey339

Hi, I'm looking to set up an outdoor enclosure for a small tortoise. I've seen yall pictures and they are very beautiful.but I don't see like a check list of things the enclosure should have. Or how big they should be. How tall the sides should be? And what is the substrate for the outdoor enclosures? Would plain grass not be okay? Pretty much starting from ground zero here. Please help us. =) thanks

Zoey339

No idea what type, asked for suggestions on my newbie post asking for help with that. =) probably russian as I have no idea what else to get and I doubt I can get a box turtle. Age would be as small as I can get it. But again no clue. Live right outside of new orleans where it's hot and muggy 8 months of the year

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Oh yes, sorry :) whether you get a Russian or a box turtle, if you get a hatchling or a very young one they would probably spend the first year or so inside a majority of the time. The outdoor enclosure for a baby could be as easy as a tote with some chicken wire or hardware top on it to keep predators out. And they would only be outside for a short time each day.
For an adult, both those types can climb and dig. I can tell you what I did but there are other options also. Are used pressure treated 2 x 12's with hardware cloth below and above. I filled it in with a combination of Pete Moss and organic garden soil. Regular yard dirt works too as long as there's no pesticides or fertilizers. There needs to be a combination of sun and shade. A water source, my Russian has a large terra-cotta plant saucer. Box turtles love piles of leaves, and they need more moisture then Russian. Russians eat purely plants, mostly broadleaf weed's. They don't eat grass unless Iabsolutely have to. Box turtles eat some greens, fruit, and proteins such as insects, worms etc. as far as size goes, bigger is always better. My Russian enclosure is 15 x 4'. In my opinion, especially for a Russian, a rectangle shape is better than say a square because they like to stay close to the edges and won't necessarily walk around the middle a lot. That's just my opinion. So there's a quick rundown. Other people will come along with other ideas too.

Zoey339

Is there a small type that does not dig? How deep down would the hardware cloth have to be? And did u bury part of the 2 x12s?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I did not bury the hardware cloth I just laid it on the ground and then put the dirt on top of it. And I did not bury any of the 2 x 12's. I made the substrate at least 4-6 inches deep throughout the entire enclosure.
Other types of tortoises don't dig as much as Russians to do. Check out the species specific section for ideas. I don't think Redford's dig, they do get a little bigger but they may work well for your climate. There are a lot of options out there so I would definitely suggest doing some more research to find one that will work best for your setting.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Here on the forum go to browse, then species specific and then Mediterranean tortoises and also South American tortoises. This will get you started. There are other options also. Some of these list their average adult size. Sometimes a larger tortoise can be kept in a smaller space then one of the smaller type tortoises it just depends on the kind. And sometimes the males get bigger than the females or vice versa. For instants a Mail Russian can be about 5 inches long while the females can easily be eight or even 10 or maybe even bigger. My three toed box turtle was 5 inches long but other types of box turtles are twice that big. And some species you can't tell male or female until they are a few years old. I am not telling you all of this to discourage you. Or to overwhelm you. But once you decide what tortoise you want then you can get more specific on the enclosures etc.

Zoey339

What about Greek tortoises?
Could someone please just recommend some hardy small tortoises that will work for my climate? And I can research from there. I feel like I'm looking for a needle in a haystack having to google each one for a max size than trying to decipher if they would work for my climate than I still don't know how well they are for beginners.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Don't Google, stay on this website. The amount of conflicting information out there will drive you insane. Greeks, Russians, and Herman's have very similar care. We would basically just have to pick one that you like to the best out of them. And I'm not trying to talk you out of a Russian, Russians are great. I've had mine for 3 1/2 years and she is wonderful. Outgoing, not shy or scared of anything, eats like a horse :) Russians are very adaptable and they can work where you live. But there are other options also. Four instance, I'm pretty sure that certain types of box turtles can live year-round outdoors in your climate. You would have to make accommodations for them to hibernate but many people here on the forum do that successfully every winter. Other relatively small tortoises that I am aware of but don't have experience with our marginated and hinge back. You can check out the tortoise library.net or LLL reptile.com. They may have some care sheets also.
About the only blanket statement I can make is do not get a pair of tortoises. They do not do well in pairs, one will eventually dominate and the other one will get sick and possibly even die.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Male Greeks don't get terribly big, maybe 5" to 8" .
They do dig, but not nearly as much as Russians do, or so it seems.
I recommend a greek, but i'm rather biased.

Zoey339

Thanks that exactly what I think I'm gonna get. I found these guys at petsmart today labeled as greeks. They don't look like any greeks I have seem pictured. More like russians. Could you confirm they are greeks?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I'm rubbish at this, but don't look like my Moroccan greeks.
The look Russian to me, also.

Zoey339

Well darn. I got excited when I saw them. I will probably order it from a local petstore than. All the better to have time to prepare.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Well darn. I got excited when I saw them. I will probably order it from a local petstore than. All the better to have time to prepare.
You're probably better off getting one from a recognized dealer.
Someone here might know in New Orleans.
Look at the breeders and for sale sections.

Zoey339

Didn't see anything for sale. I'll try to look around to see what is available around here. But no promises.