Outdoor Enclosure - Planning Rosebud's Dream home

JayTay

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I'm starting plans to make an outdoor enclosure for Rosebud, my Russian tortoise. I'd love ideas, please!

Details: The space is about 16ft x 3.5ft (the cedar bed in the picture is 9 ft, for scale) on the south side of the house. Yard is surrounded by 6' fence, so low predation risk. Soil type here is hard clay (I guess it's called Latourell Loam to the experts), which means digging must happen in early spring and even then, digging much deeper than 6" is nigh impossible without heavy equipment. All plants inside are listed as "tortoise safe" - stonecrop/succulent varieties, lavender, a rosebush, blue fescue and oatgrasses, and also Purity Candytuft.

Plans thus far: 1) Fencing - bricks/stones (sunk as low as possible to hard clay) surrounding the perimeter, 2) Pallet herb garden resting against the house to provide shade, 3) "Sod house" hide (I saw an example in a thread somewhere and I love the concept! Especially if I can plant tiny flowers on the roof) and 4) Fill in extra spaces with more grasses and resting rocks.

I'm absolutely in love with terryo's garden and I'd love to do a more rustic-ish 'fairy garden' style. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Attachments

• RosebudsHouse.jpg
    RosebudsHouse.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 81

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Love to see the progress of your build.

Please keep us posted.