outdoor enclosure problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

russiantortoiselover1

5 Year Member
hello everyone! i'm kinda new to the forum and i need some help deciding what to do about an outdoor enclosure for my russian torts. what i was thinking was a intex 56998eg 10' by 30" metal frame pool filled with dirt. I just wanted to see if them could dig through the bottom. thank u!!

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 89

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't think they could dig through. However, the sides may be too high for them to get some good sun. Also, wouldn't it be hard to take are of? Otherwise, if the sun would be good and you can get too them easily, I don't know why it wouldn't work.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Depends how much dirt. Also placement of the pool for the sun part. Eventually it will get high enough where the sides won't effect it if placed right. Why not just build an enclosure with wood? Probably cheaper

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would think it would flood in a rain storm. I would just build a wooden enclosure.

Mike

russiantortoiselover1

5 Year Member
how would it be hard to take care of? and i dont think no sun will be a problem i think it will be over them most of the day...

and it will be over 20 bags of dirt and there are going to be drainage holes and i also thought it would be cheaper than a wooden enclosure cuz i want it to be big is there a thread somewhere on cheap outdoor enclosures?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
There is a enclosure thread . I have had a pool like the one in the photo and they do not hold up well they dry rot over time and split .what kind of tort are you housing ?

Mike

My bad I see the Russian tortoise part in your post . Most of use use plywood cut at 16 " long ways gives you 24' of fence out of one piece. Can't get no cheaper than that .here is a pic of my red foot enclosure with plywood closing it in . It used to be a pig pen .You don't need all the metal I had this but I had to make walls so they can't get out . It's just plywood and 1/4 cheap.

Mike

Attachments

• 1372124674608.jpg
    1372124674608.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 1372124722251.jpg
    1372124722251.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 68

russiantortoiselover1

5 Year Member
Ok thanks! What do I do about the bottom so they can't dig out?

1labrador golden retriever mix:Annie
1cockapoo: lily
1baby bearded dragon:Lincoln
2russians: Ramona and scooter
3fish
1guinea pig: cookie
Love my pets!!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Put chicken wire with rocks on top .like you get in a bag at Home Depot and then add dirt this will just be around the sides to keep them from digging around the sides.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

russiantortoiselover1

5 Year Member
Well I have a sodden enclosure now and the chiken are is the bottom but it seems sharp and where the sheets meet nothing connects them so I'm afraid they will get tangled up or tunnel under...[PENSIVE FACE]

3fish
Love my pets!!

*wooden enclosure

3fish
Love my pets!!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You can just put small rocks around the sides about 6inches deep cover with dirt don't think they would be able to dig though.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
The pool would work with LOTS of drainage holes. Or, perhaps you could even cut out some of the center. That would work.

If you are thinking about a raised bed idea for your enclosure (you don't want to dig down), line the bottom with plastic garden fencing sold in rolls. You can line 18" in on all sides. Back fill with gravel, 2-3". Then add garden or organic soil, 8-10". So with Russians, make the sides about 24" high so you have 12" to back fill. Then add a lip around the edge to prevent digging out.

Another alternative, is to cut the plywood 16" high as Mike suggests. Then line the edges with pavers (8x16" set the long way). That will act as a walkway and they won't be able to dig out. Create attractive hides under hills in the middle.

For the second two options, you would probably need two or maybe three 4x8' pieces of exterior plywood to achieve close to a 10x30' size.
So price the plywood, and price the pool, and compare.

russiantortoiselover1

5 Year Member
Ok what about the chicken wire being sharp?

3fish
Love my pets!!

thank you Lynne i will look in to making that it sounds like a good idea :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi russiantortlover:

Is the reason you're wanting to use an above-the-ground-pool because you already have it on hand and its not being used for swimming? Because if you're going to have to buy it, there are many, many cheaper and easier ways of getting your Russian tortoise into a safe and secure outdoor habitat.

And to answer your question, yes, tortoise claws can scratch holes in the pool liner.

russiantortoiselover1

5 Year Member
thank you, I don't mind if its a pool or not i was just trying to find a reasonably priced big outdoor enclosure. i think im just going to build a wooden one using Mike and Lynne's ideas. i just want to make the cheapest safest enclosure thats best for my torts

Status
Not open for further replies.