Outdoor enclosure question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
So I plan to get either a Baby Leopard or Red-Foot tortoise. As it gets bigger, I plan to work on an outdoor enclosure for the warmer months (I live in Michigan).

I heard people saying they plant specific seeds for grasses in their enclosures. How would I go about doing that, what grass seeds are good?

And also. How do you deal with bugs/other animals invading the turtle home? I plan to have a mesh cage (maybe square inch holes in it, so no HUGE holes for bigger animals to get in).

And how do prevent pesticides (from neighbors using things toxic to them) from getting in the cage? I mean I think it goes without saying that at SOME point, your neighbors are going to use fertilizer on their grass, spray their lawn with weed killer etc.

I luckily live on a corner. So I could technically build a solid wall on 1 side, to prevent the direct air flow from my neighbors of entering the cage, but some would get in. Now I havn't seen my neighbors use anything but it doesn't mean they havn't.

Any info or suggestions would be great.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Seiryu said:
So I plan to get either a Baby Leopard or Red-Foot tortoise. As it gets bigger, I plan to work on an outdoor enclosure for the warmer months (I live in Michigan).

I heard people saying they plant specific seeds for grasses in their enclosures. How would I go about doing that, what grass seeds are good? For Leos there is a list of foods you can feed here; http://www.africantortoise.com/edible_plants.htm
you can get grass seeds here:

http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/ca...ath=41&zenid=57a5c4d6fa8fcff4d7cbc95d366d8610

Redfoots are not big grass eaters follow the info on www.redfoots.com

And also. How do you deal with bugs/other animals invading the turtle home? I plan to have a mesh cage (maybe square inch holes in it, so no HUGE holes for bigger animals to get in).
I have three pens which are made of Chicken wire, ½ inch hardware cloth ( for hatchlings) and one of Chain link. There are bugs in every yard. I worry about harmful insects which there are only a few of like Black widows or the ants especially, fire ants, and especially if you have eggs outside. These I kill with foot or by pouring boiling water over the ants.

And how do prevent pesticides (from neighbors using things toxic to them) from getting in the cage? I mean I think it goes without saying that at SOME point, your neighbors are going to use fertilizer on their grass, spray their lawn with weed killer etc.
My yard is surrounded by a block wall on one side and 6 foot high wooden fencing on the other two. I have dug down and placed two cinderblocks under the fence line to keep water run off out (and anything from digging out or in). I do not worry about my neighbors using pesticides or chemicals in their yards. I do not use their foods and I have let them know I have tortoises. Cultivating good neighbors’ helps, they have both now switched to organics for their yards. They said it not only will help my torts but their dogs and cats. My main problem is the neighbor who has his cars stored by the fence and likes to start and let them run weekly. He is now doing this on Saturdays so I take my big fan out their and aim it back in his direction. But I feel having the fence helps protect them from most of the settling crud.

I luckily live on a corner. So I could technically build a solid wall on 1 side, to prevent the direct air flow from my neighbors of entering the cage, but some would get in. Now I havn't seen my neighbors use anything but it doesn't mean they havn't.
You can only protect your torts from things you can control. Things like exaust from cars driving by your house or (in my case running in my neigbors yard) I can't control. so I do the best I can and know they are hardy and if given the best care hopefully will do well.
Any info or suggestions would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.