Outdoor enclosure question- rain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

naomif17

5 Year Member
When I get my Hermann (or maybe Greek) tortoise (realistically 6mo-1yr) I plan to keep him outside whenever possible. However, we have dogs, so the enclosure will have to be on legs, basically an outside tortoise table. My question is does anyone have suggestions on how to make it so water will be able to drain out when it rains? Do I simply drill little holes in the bottom of the enclosure?

Also is it ok to leave the tortoise out when it rains? Or should I bring him in? I plan on having an indoor enclosure as well for when it gets too cold for him outside. I live in Northern California if that helps.

Thanks in advanced for your help!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You could build it on the ground, if you put a cover over it like the landscaping fabric. It is found by the chicken wire at lowes, Menards, home depot. It is small square metal fencing like chicken wire. Different gauges for strength available. As for a table, holes for drainage is the only thing I can think of. They can stay outside in rain as long as it isn't too cold and you give them hides to go under if they want.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Usually when we get rain in CA it is cold. I would just bring them in if that is an option. There are people who leave them out, but they have dry shelters. I agree that your enclosure will be better off if you make it on the ground with a proper welded wire cover. Temperatures will be more stable that way. Here's an example:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ut-Safe-Outdoor-Baby-Enclosures#axzz1bv5qbbcz

naomif17

5 Year Member
wellington said:
You could build it on the ground, if you put a cover over it like the landscaping fabric. It is found by the chicken wire at lowes, Menards, home depot. It is small square metal fencing like chicken wire. Different gauges for strength available. As for a table, holes for drainage is the only thing I can think of. They can stay outside in rain as long as it isn't too cold and you give them hides to go under if they want.

Unfortunately that's not option. Our dogs would still dig (and bark) to try and get to the tortoise and I don't want to stress the tort out. It would only be temporary since its my parents house and once I move out I would then be able to put the tort in an outdoor enclosure on the ground.

Tom said:
Usually when we get rain in CA it is cold. I would just bring them in if that is an option. There are people who leave them out, but they have dry shelters. I agree that your enclosure will be better off if you make it on the ground with a proper welded wire cover. Temperatures will be more stable that way. Here's an example:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ut-Safe-Outdoor-Baby-Enclosures#axzz1bv5qbbcz

Great thank you I will check out that link. As I stated above I don't think it would be safe to have the enclosure on the ground at my patents but would be an option when I move out (which will be soon). And I think I will bring them in as your right the rain is cold. Thanks again.

kamoopsipooh

5 Year Member
I know this post was written a little while ago, but thought I'd put my two cents in. I used my chinchillas old enclosure for our jackson chameleon. It has legs and I added plywood walls at the bottom to hold soil and plants. The floor, I bored holes about an inch wide. So that the plywood wouldn't rot, I stapled roofing felt in the sides and floor, cutting an "X" where the holes were and pushed the felt through. Then, I covered the floor with pet screen so that the soil wouldn't wash through.

Although the wood was old, with the weight of the soil, plants and water, it's still standing. It stays outside year-round.

Hope this isn't too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.